Change in weather

Ayushi Narula

Apr 02, 2014

Hi Parents, With the change in weather many children are falling sick, I am afraid my 5 years old will also catch infections from his friends I don't want him to get sick please suggest how can I keep him safe in this weather.

• 2

Dr Vaneet Parmar

Dear Ayushi, When the child catches a cold or a cough, before starting a treatment it is necessary to identify whether it is because of allergy or a viral infection. Both have a different line of treatment. When it is a nasal or a throat allergy, it will generally magnify in early morning hours or late evenings. A doctor will be able to look at the symptoms and diagnose it correctly. But these days, allergies are on the rise because of erratic weather conditions and pollination. While there is not much you can do about it, you can focus on the child’s diet to boost his immunity. Give him enough fruits and vegetables to eat, along with a couple of dry fruits (provided he doesn’t react to them). There is really no allopathic medicine to boost immunity but some supplements—zinc and Vitamin C—are available that perhaps can help in boosting immunity. Also, do ensure the child is not anaemic. Children who are majorly on a milk diet lack enough iron in their blood and are prone to anaemia and hence have low-immunity. A simple blood test can spot anaemia. You will need to take corrective actions such as including more iron-rich foods in his diet and consult with a doctor for iron supplements.

Hi Ayushi, Here is a link to a parenting blog you may find relevant http://www.parentune.com/parent-blog/8-ways-to-boost-your-childs-immunity/382

stomach ache

my son who is 4+ usually complains of stomach ache. we had done his usg also and..

my three year old girl with dandruff in..

so much scalp dandruff that it is even affecting face skin. so confused what to..

Fever cold cough

Hi my twin daughters r 3. 8 years old and they r having congestion cold n coughi..

Health

my son is a premature so low weight how can I increase the weight and he is went..

Cough

My elder son is having severe cough past few weeks .. I have been giving him cou..

irregular bowels

my daughter is 2. 11 months old... her bowels are irregular ...it takes 3 days g..

Cough n cold

We recently shifted in India now my daughter who is 3 1/2 is constantly having c..