Babycare Health and Wellness Child Psychology and Behaviour

Home Remedies For Dry Skin

Apr 08, 2013

Hi friends.   Please suggest home remedies to heal dry skin. My son, almost 12, has very dry skin and lips throughout the year, even in summers. We are constantly applying vaseline and such lotions but that only works for the moment. We have to apply loads of lotion on his arms, legs and everywhere 2-3 times a day. I would like to fix this at home than apply over-the-counter lotions.   Also, I have been thinking of going back to using baby products for him, need to know if they froth - chicko, pigeon. Brought johnsons shampoo but it wouldn't froth so kids wont use it as often.     thanks 

• 10

Surabhi Chatterjee

Hi Neetu, you may go for pigeon skin care lotions for your child, i found them to be gentle and apt for my child's dry skin and they don't froth as well.

great, thanks Gaurima. I did happen to see the pediatrician for something else and they mentioned that for an oil massage, olive or coconut oil is a better option than almond oil.

gaurima

The proportion of the mixture should be 1:1:1 then it's just fine. however during humid days you can reduce the quantity of glycerin to 1/2 or 1/4 depending upon skin condition.

oh great, thanks, I was looking for something like this, but isn't glycerine sticky?

gaurima

Dear Neetu... dry skin and its side effects have bothered a lot in the past. But now i make a lotion at home that works wonderfully. Its very simple to make - In a bowl mix equal parts of Lemon juice + Glycerin + Rose water - Transfer the mixture to a small bottle and apply immediately after bathing and wiping the skin with the towel.

right, thanks Indu :)

Indu

Neetu, If u are planning to apply oil all over his body, make sure he cleans it thoroughly. Just like when we massage little kids with oil, oil is supposed to be clean within 2 hours. It may make the skin prone to infections in case oil doesn't go away properly ....

hey Indu, thanks for the detailed post. In fact it reminded me that I too used Emoderm when Arjun was little. It did work when used on moist skin. Now I wish there was something which could moisturize his body from within for the longer run. Last night I applied almond oil all over his body, which is not possible every night, with grown up kids..

Hey Indu. Thanks for the informative post. Dry skin is a problem with most of us. Hope this helps your son as well Neetu :)

Indu

My daughter is too having dry skin... in fact its in her genes. She has suffered a lot because of it, as dry skin is too much prone to infections. Many a times, she used to suffer with infections which leave round shaped white marks. I also keep check on her scalp for dandruff, as dry skin is one of the prominent cause for it. Since last 2 years she has got relief from a lotion - Atogla, its a skin lotion by Curatio company. The main reason for using it is ..its 10% aloe vera content and after atogla - a layer of Emoderm -its white paraffin cream which keep skin moisture in tact. She is advised by her pediatrician, she cannot even a single day bath.. whatevr weather it may be ... extreme winter or rainy ... And post bath, without towel she has to put cream, this helps in keeping skin moist for long. In winters I apply cream twice on her skin , in fact in extreme winters, thrice .... I have seen the relief since last 2 yrs. You can also try it - After bath, No towel, Atogla, and then emoderm .... I am sure u will see the effects ..All the best !!!

social media

My daughter is in 10 th Std. We have mutually scheduled time for use of Mobile...

my child is less interactive

my daughter is 13yrs old but she is very less interactive. she don't like to tal..

more interested in friends

my child roams more with friends and pays less importance to studies

immunity

my son suffers from cold and fever very often. can somebody suggest anything to..

Hair fall

hi my daughter is 12years .recently I have been noticing lots I hairfall. initi..

kids suffering from relation

in laws nt care love speak to children nt even wish on their birthday

i hve asked a question about my kid regr..

regarding behaviour of my 12 year son