How can I get my son to give up the bottle?

Mital

My 22 months old son still wants a bottle in the noon and also at bedtime. If we don't give it to him, he cries inconsolably.  He drinks from a cup during the day, but cries inconsolably if he doesn't get his bottle at bedtime. Most of the time, we are so frustrated that we give in. What can we do? Pls advise.

• 9

Mital

Hello freinds, I forgot to tell you that my son finally give up the bottle. He criedfor 1-2 days in night only & now he wants milk in only in "his" mug.

Neha Netragaonkar

Hi Mital. I am facing the same problem rgt nw and my son is 2. 5 yrs old. I understand we have to go easy with our kids but at the same time we see other kids saying bye to the bottle vry soon. There the stress starts building up. I hope even my son wil leave his bottle soon.

oh.. that explains why you want to stop giving him the bottle asap.. as I mentioned before, keep trying.. it will happen :)

Mital

Neetu you are right but my son always has cold & 1-2 time diarea in month due to infection. So I think it is good if he drinks with cup.

Hey Mital. Doctors do advise against the bottle for fear of infection. I would still say go easy on your little boy. You said that he only asks for the bottle at bedtime. Give him a month or two. Even you and I would need some time to give up on a habit we enjoy. Kids grow so fast at this age and change so much. May be if you go gentle on this issue, in a month or two it will resolve itself.

Mital

but doctors told for this many times & finally i started this. I told him that "I throw the bottle in dustbin so you have to drink milk in cup only" I also buy a mug for him.

I also just posted this on another talk, my daughter finally left the bottle after she turned 5. Now it is fine and she drinks from a cup. Dont worry. They will all leave the bottle at some stage.

Rashmi Balagopal

Hi Mital, I faced the same issue a while ago. Here are some of the tips I got from fellow parents here on parentune. http://www.parentune.com/parent-talk/bottle-battle/144 Hope some of these ideas work for you. In our household the bottle didn't go down easily, it was a tough fight. Hang in there, he will overcome this.

Hey Mital, my boy drank from the bottle till he was about 3. 5 years. In the last few months of this period, he would only ask for the bottle at bedtime, just like your little one. I would say why not give him some more time, perhaps let him turn 2.. and then gradually tell him that all bottles are gone, broken etc.. build this up during the day by showing a broken bottle and discarding it.. and then perhaps you could take him and buy a sipper of his choice to exclusively drink milk before he sleeps.. he can drink from the sipper in bed if his upper body is tilted enough.. eventually he will stop asking,.. just give him some time and some options ..tc

nowadys dr. brandy is not available

even i hav head abt dr. brandy but it is not available anywhere.. i m in banglor..

worms

when to give albendazole to children. night or early morning

Sleep pattern for 1. 2 years old

My little one waking up frequently in the night for every 2 hrs. Either I have t..

diet chart nd time table for 1 yr baby

hiii.... my baby is 1 yr old plz sgst me time table nd diet chart nd in hou muc..

baby sleep talking

my 15 month baby sleep talks for 1 or 2 times at night for about 2 to 3 secs, is..

syrup bandy

as per doc advise I gave bandy syrup on Friday night 5ml and was advised to give..

Thumb sucking

Hi mommies.. my almost 2 year old daughter is still sucking her thumb! I have tr..

Any ideas n suggestions for stopping thb..

My son s 14m. Thumbsucks when sleepy...