How to handle a sensitive child?

Daly

My son is 5 years old and is going to UKG. He is an extremely sensitive boy. The good side of this behavioral triat is that he is very considerate of others feelings. He can tell that someone is upset just by looking into their eyes or from the tone of their voice. He is very considerate of old and infirm people and is always at their beck and call, even if it is the first time that he meets them. The problem is that his eyes swell up at the drop of a hat. He is constantly seeking the company of similarly sensitive children and I must say they are very hard to find among his peers. The end result is that he enjoys the company of adults more than his peers. He spends most of his time in school talking to his teachers. He also gets extremely uncomfortable even if any one around him raises their voice even slightly. He strongly reacts to hostile situations, even if it is just his classmates arguing or fighting over something. I am at times proud of his senstitivity but I also fear if he will be able to survive in this big bad world.

krishnakali basu

for a minute i thot im reading about my son ,but i respect him for what he is

krishnakali basu

krishnakali basu

Shabana M J

I share the same feelin. My son could not hold if he stumble before a stranger. He takes it to self. I assure him that he is fine. He is doing good. Now. he is growing. All our children need is exposure to real life situations. We keep them in our arms. Set them free under our supervision so they learn with their experience.

Kavita Yadav

Dear Daly, Bhavna has very nicely and intelligently handled her daughter's sensitive nature. Kudos Bhavna. Great step to take your child out for various group activities but do talk to the instructor about the child's nature so that he/she knows how to handle the situation. One activity that really helps sensitive children is the theatre activity where they learn how to express their emotions and feelings. So, if you can enroll your child for Personality Development classes where theatre is a part... I think it should help. But first and foremost accept the natural self of your child and respect him/her. Do not push, do not be a part of the rat race, give all your love and assurance that you are there with them no matter what. Do share if you liked the feedback. Love :)

jharna

So he knows to fight when things r tough .this way he will gradually learn to live in this tough world

jharna

Hi Daly, I have a 6 yr old kid... he makes frds with his age group. But wid elders he is shy. He s a only child , but one thing I do is fight or argue with him as his sibling wud

This sounds just like my daughter who is 5. She is, for the lack of a more appropriate word, maternal with everyone, very sensitive to others needs. But when I see how kids are nowadays I feel she will lose out to other kids. I share your feelings.

Dear Daly , i have a 6 year old daughter and believe me when i say , i have faced the exact same dilemma with my daughter . I have always supported her but more than that i respect who she is. I have accepted that she is a shy /quiet child and and i do fear on how she will tackle the world ( which all parents do , no matter how their child is ) but i know that all i can do is be there for her . To make things easier for her to understand i have done certain things like : - have other children over to our house and organise group games. - Reassure her all the time that she is a strong child and she can take care of herself( she also used to get bullied in the school bus) - Have got her into a skating class ( she was opposed to the idea of joining but we sat and watched the other children skate for almost 2 months before she said she was ready to join the class) -Now i go with her to the early morning sports (extra) class in school so she is very confident and enjoys / relates / talks to the other kids as well . Slowly i see her mixing / interacting with children her own age but all in all she is still the quiet /sensitive child that she has always been .

Daly

Thank you Rashmi for that very genuine perspective. As a matter of fact, George is an only child too. As we live in an apartment full of families with kids,I am constantly pressing him into group activities. In fact, I encourage play groups so much that my place is like a 2nd home to all the neighbours kids. But what I find is that a natural selection process occurs with him forming subgroups with submissive, younger kids (mostly girls). I feel this is his way of avoiding head-on collisions with the ruf n'tuf boys.

Rashmi Balagopal

Even today, I hate confrontations, I still hate arguments, I am always (have always been) a people pleaser. The only downside I see now is I feel very bad saying "no" to someone. I am sort of a pushover. Sometimes I feel that the reason I am this way is because I am an only child... and since I didn't have a sibling to compete with or argue with, I just naturally turned out to be the way I am. But as we grow up we learn our lessons... I would say that encourage your child to mingle with children of his age group, support him and tell him that people are not always sympathetic and kind. Some sort of team sports will also be a good way for him to get in to awkward situations, it might be tough in the beginning but then he will learn to accept the rough ways of life. Don't worry about him much, I am sure he will grow up to be a very fine man!

Rashmi Balagopal

Daly, your son reminds me of myself while I was growing up. I hated loud arguments, I never liked confrontations, say for example I still remember that when I was in class one, a girl snatched my pencil and I was so upset over it. I asked her twice may be to return the pencil and in the end I had taken my dad forcibly ( and I am sure he was a little embarrassed) to ask my class teacher to intervene.

Khelne par jyada dhyan

Mera beta school nahi Jana chahta wo khelna chahta h hamesha kya karen

kids urine pass problem

hiii my son is of 2 years old. he speaks everything but don't tells about urine..

clear talking

hi am kalpana.. my son 3. 2 yrs now.. he started mumbling first only after he wa..

When Kids started lying..

My son is 4. 6 yrs. old n doing good in everything. But the problem is , he has..

constipation

even after giving syrup for constipation child is not passing motion daily. not..

Toilet training for my daughter.

Hi all, my daughter is 4 year old. She is still not saying she wants go to rest..

Hyper active child

Hii my daughter Aarya is of 5. 6 yrs .she is hyper active child but becomes out..