inhaling from mouth while sleeping

Manohar

Apr 15, 2013

Hi All, I am a father of 4 years old daughter. My daughter is inhaling from her mouth while she is sleeping. We tried to close her mouth, but then she is not comfortable to inhale from her nose. So she cries when i close her mouth while she is sleeping. And also during the day, she is not closing her mouth during her activities like watching TV, observing something etc. We keep on tell her to close mouth and will close her mouth. We heard that this will lead her teeth problems. Can some one here please guide us how we can make sure that she will come out of this habit?

• 10

Prajakta Deodhar

My daughter is 2 years n even she started inhaling from mouth due to nasal congestion in winter but even now she keeps her mouth open while sleeping...

Tks for sharing yr views abt mouth inhaling... my son also used to inhale from mouth in winters due to nose stuff/blocked... but still i hv seen, he keeps his mouth open while sleeping... I will observe him from now on...

Manohar

Great, thanks everyone for giving me your valuable suggestions. I will contact you after talking to ENT.

Manjunath

If it persists beyond 7 years and above or problems due to hypertrophy oike otitis media bad breath, snoring, adenoid facies we can consider early surgery, but we need to ascertain the cause, so meet local ENT surgeon first

Manjunath

Hi Mr Manohar, most likely its adenoid hypertrophy, mostly happens due to age, as lymphoid growth happens max in this age,

gaurima

you can try trying nasal strips for clearing the blocked nasal pathways, make her sleep on her side or use pillow if she sleep on her back and get her checked by the doctor for sure.

gaurima

Hi Manohar !! Breathing through the mouth can be due to excessive use of pacifier during infancy, recurring allergies, constriction of upper airways, mispositioned lower jaw often caused by thumb-sucking and insufficient suckling during infancy. Other causes may include the occurrence of nasal polyps, deviation of nasal septum and tonsil hypertrophy. Many health practitioners say that breathing through the mouth is also brought on by chest congestion, asthma, obesity, sleep apnea, over eating, constipation, over-clothing.

Shanaya

Hi Manohar, to second what Dyuti mentioned, I suggest you consult an ENT specialist at the earliest. Obstruction in the nasal passage, or infection in tonsils or adenoids may be the reason for your child's breathing through mouth. You have heard correctly that breathing through mouth can cause problems in teeth positioning. If unchecked, it can cause other problems as well. A visit to the doc will help you understand if this is just a habit she has picked up or there is a condition that needs treatment..

Dyuti

Hi Manohar. You could wait and see if this habit of your daughter changes over the next few months. But if she has been breathing from her mouth since sometime, then I suggest you consult an ENT. A doctor will be best to diagnose the condition and check why she has been breathing through her mouth. Inhaling through the nose filters the air we breath, which is not done when inhaling through the mouth. Hence, I suggest you speak to her doctor for advice. Hope this helps.

My baby is ignoring food since a weak..

I have stopped breastfeeding her since few days.. she used to eat khichidi n cer..

Rusk for baby

Hi . . Pls suggest me, can i give rusk with milk for my 14month boy baby

Please help cough n cold

Hi frd my baby is 15 months old... Every month she is suffering cold n cough.....

sleeping

my baby is not taking proper sleeping what can i do

brain work

I want to know my baby is lefty or righty

What to give for cold and cough

My child 3 yrs old has a difficulty in breathing due to cold and cough his nose..

head swelling

hii all, my son had a fall this afternoon and he has developed big swelling on h..

related to addiction. and weight

my 17 month old baby girl weight is 8. 3 ..she is addict of eating wall whitewas..