Child Psychology and Behaviour Special Needs

Mangolian

Sarishty

Hi Friends ,   i just spoke to one of my friend lately who is a mother of two , 7 year old boy and a new born baby girl around two months .Though the baby looks absolutely okay to me and was responding well was active , she told me that she has down syndrome , on asking what that means she said she is magolian but reports have not confirmed that yet ..can we get any ionfo on this subject on this forum so that I can help my friend and her daughter ..i dont think she really knows what this means all she said id my life is over and i could realy hear the depression in her voice ..  

• 5

sarishty

Thanks Bhavna and Neena , Unfortunately she just got the reports and they confirm of the disorder ..they have an appointment with dr tomorrow to discuss , I hope this fella will explian to her everything nicely and clearly ..For now all I know is this is not a illness its just a weeknes , which one can overcome may be just partially ..i think she needs proper counselling so that she can raise her well. Thanks a ton ladies!

On a personal note , i have known a child ( family friend's daughter) since she was a baby , today she is 26 years old and is a brilliant bharatnatyam dancer , she does performances all over the south india and she is a happy child. However using the word mangolian or mongoloid is considered offensive , earlier this term was used to describe this syndrome but by 1960's the term was discontinued and the disorder was called down's syndrome.

Hey sarishty, it is so sad to hear about your friend but she cannot loose hope till the doctor officially confirms anything. here is what we found out about " Down's syndrome- Down syndrome is the most common chromosome abnormality in humans It is typically associated with a delay in cognitive ability (mental retardation, or MR) and physical growth, and a particular set of facial characteristics. The average IQ of young adults with Down syndrome is around 50, compared to children without the condition with an IQ of 100. A large proportion of individuals with Down syndrome have a severe degree of intellectual disability. Many children with Down syndrome graduate from high school and can do paid work, and some participate in post-secondary education as well. Education and proper care has been shown to improve quality of life significantly. Individuals with Down syndrome may have some or all of the following physical characteristics: microgenia (abnormally small chin), oblique eye fissures on the inner corner of the eyes, muscle hypotonia (poor muscle tone), a flat nasal bridge, a single palmar fold, a protruding tongue (due to small oral cavity, and an enlarged tongue near the tonsils) or macroglossia, "face is flat and broad", a short neck, white spots on the iris known as Brushfield spots, excessive joint laxity including atlanto-axial instability, excessive space between large toe and second toe, a single flexion furrow of the fifth finger, a higher number of ulnar loop dermatoglyphs and short fingers.

Neena

A beautiful heart touching film - Inspiring stories of 7 Indians wwith Downs syndrome created by the Down's Syndrome Federation of India - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMVfy6_nxp8

Neena

Hello Sarishty.. it is not clear how your friend determined that the baby has Down's syndrome. Perhaps she should wait for a confirmation from her doctor. At the same time, you can help ease her anxiety by letting her know that the days where Down's syndrome meant the end of life for parents and child are over. Today, there is tremendous support and resources which help parents in bringing up a child with this disorder. There are special schools, support groups and therapies available... Please ask her to relax and take one day at a time.

Phobia of breast feed

My baby is 3 months old. Suddenly he is having phobia of feed. Wenever I take hi..

too much active

my baby is of just 9 months but she is very much Active n keep on exploring the..

How can my baby gain weight ?

my baby 1years 2 month. His weight is 10 kg. pls suggest me. how can he get more..

Eye itching problem

My is now 4th month complete but he scabious his eyes too much pls tell why & wh..

weight

hello my baby is 12 month n 8 kg in wght. in last 4 month her weight increased o..

Food while travelling

Hi mommies, My LO is 10 mnths old. Need to go out of station in family functio..

allergy ho rhi h

meri daughter ke gale ke aas pas kafi sare Dane ho gaye the ab udme se..

I want my kid of 6month to sleep for lon..

Since my baby is born I am breast feeding him. After 3months he is sleeping for..