Milk for under one year

Darshita Chheda

Mar 03, 2013

Hello Parents, I wanted to know wether it is safe to give milk products like paneer, curd, etc. to a 10month old baby. ma'am giving him formula milk. Haven't started on outside milk. What is the right age to start cows milk? Parents please share your views.

• 10

Darshita Chheda

Thanks Aashna n shreya for your views. However, I think I will avoid giving cows milk til he is a yr old.. Though I have started giving him homemade paneer, curd etc. of cows milk. He is taking it well.

Shreya

Hi... i started cows milk for my son 6 month onwards... started wit a single feed a day... wat i did is diluted it a little water n added few seeds of sauf n ajwin, brought it to a boil, seived it n gave it to my son... he reacted perfectly well wit it... 7th month onwards gradually moved to 3-4 servings of cows milk n reducing the sauf n ajwin quantity... sauf n ajwin r traditional recepies n hav benefits of removing the harmful elements the milk may contain...

Aashna

Hi Darshita. I had introduced cows's milk to my son when he was about 10 months old. He however, had very bad diarrhea, so I had stopped it completely. I gave him regular milk at that age because he had suddenly stopped breast feeding after a bout of a severe ear infection and also would not drink formula. But I had to resort to formula feeding and substituted with some yoghurt and cheese to make up for the daily requirement. I re-introduced cow's milk after he turned one and is drinking without any reactions. so, on the safer side, you may wait until your baby turns one or even longer, if you prefer :)

Prajakta Deodhar

Hello darshita, there is no particular reason behind me giving her lactogen till date. its just that now we both have become habitual to it. Anyways i will be starting bournvita lil'champs with buffalo milk after her second birthday...

Darshita Chheda

Thanks Tanuja

Tanuja Sodhi

Yes it is safe since curd and paneer have a special culturing process that breaks down a specific milk protein that is responsible for causing allergies. So cow milk's curd and paneer are easier on the babies' digestive system. However, always administer a very small quantity of any new food for the first time. Observe the baby for a day to rule out any allergenic reactions before giving the same food again.

Darshita Chheda

Hey Tanuja, thanks a lot for your advice. I completely understand about not giving cows milk before one year.. However my query was that since cows milk is not safe is curd, paneer etc. made out of cows milk safe... ?

Tanuja Sodhi

Hi Darshita, Yes, babies are ready to try dairy products like curd and cheese after turning 6 months. You should just be sure that your baby can chew well to introduce him/her to cheese. As for cow's milk, please wait until your baby's first birthday before introducing it to replace human milk or infant formula , as the proteins in cow's milk can be hard for your baby's immature digestive system to digest, causing abdominal pain, bloating or diarrhea.

Darshita Chheda

Hey Prajakta, may I know why r u still giving her formula.. ? Any specific reason.. ? You can now start on normal cows / buffalos milk rite.. ? N when did u start giving her cheese paneer etc.

Prajakta Deodhar

Hello, my daughter will be turning 2 in the next month and i am still giving her formula powder milk. I had started giving her cheese and paneer when she was six months..... I also give her milk shakes and kheer made of normal buffalo milk.... She is ok with both at a time...

food n nutrition

want to know d diet to b given to babies of 6 months old

My 9months baby boy is crying a lot whil..

My 9months baby boy is crying a lot while attempting to feed... Can any one sugg..

can mashed boiled apple cause constipati..

hi, I am giving half mashed apple after boiling to my baby during the day. can i..

baby not taking or liking the taste of r..

plz suggest few tips to start with rice she s an yr old.. she loves ragi malt n..

apple

my baby never eat apple due to its sour taste what to do?pls help me

nutrition

hello my lo is 8 mnths can i giv dates in milk shake form ??

Food

Hi my baby is 6th month old what all should I start in his diet

eatting chart for10 mnths baby

what should we give to baby except milk