My 3 year old puts everything in her mouth

Meenakshi

Jul 15, 2013

I am sure I will not be the only parent with this issue. My daughter puts everything in her mouth.. The recent scare was she putting a matchstick. I have tried all possible ways to make her understand and try stop her from putting things in her mouth. Can somebody suggest better ways... Thanks.

• 3

It could be too dangerous for the child. my son (tht time he was2. 9yrs) he was quite facinated to touch the soap all the time. Once he got chance and he ate soap... forutnately I was at home n i saw him in few seconds, washed his mouth... n i immediately took him to doc. Such kind of incidence can occur.. if ur child underdstand... make him understand the concequences of this habbit... as suggested by shika. Tk care of little one.

meenakshi

Thanks Shikha, I have tried and I still do all that you have mentioned. I hope this habit goes off. This is turning out to be way too dangerous and risky. Am yet to figure out why she does put things in her mouth. I cannot trust and leave her alone even for two minutes.

Hi Meenakshi! I appreciate ur concerns regarding this issue as sometimes it could pose serious threat if child ingests something risky such as a matchstick. Till d time your child outgrows this problem it is advisable that please keep all such items out of her reach. Secondly you could be firm in ur approach n discourage ur child whenever she does this act of putting things in mouth. Giving same instruction every time mite work. Thirdly, u could show her images of unaligned teeth and other harmful results on Internet which u could share with her is a result of putting things in mouth. Thirdly, u cud sensitize all the adults at home to repeat same thing, that this is a bad habit n shd be done away with. Fourth, u can tell her stories in which child had to suffer because of putting harmful things in mouth. Last but not the least it is advisable please do not give up on ur child as far as this habit is concerned as it will go away one day with ur efforts and persistence. All the best!

slap issue

hi.. my girl is 21 months old and she recently got a habit of slaping too hard t..

constipation

hi my kid is 3years 2months old he had constipated when he was 2 years old since..

ADHD problem

hi, my child having ADHD problem not talking what to do

biting

hi my baby is of 18months old n he bites me at anytme evn he smells my cloths nl..

problem in sleeping at night... any sugg..

my child is 13 months old... but he doesn't sleep well...

school dilemma

my son cries every day before going to school

my baby is 2 yrs old. Sometime he is bec..

my baby sometimes becomes so stubborn so he starts crying & hurting himself by p..

behaviour

mera beta aj Kal Bht chikta ha or chikta ha Bht jayda ziddi ho gaya ha. 2. 6 yea..