MY BABY 5 months old regarding Motions

MadhusudhanRao

My Baby is 4 months old now and he was born on 33/34 th week of pregnancy. right now he is doing very good.     My wife complains on below points    1) Baby passes motion once in a week 2) in between sometimes ( 1 or 2 times)  he passes motions less only  3) we have consulted the Doctor for this reason,  he advised us  to go for neonatal Enema.  He also advised it is safe not a problem for the baby ( My wife fears on his cries due to this enema)    Few required medical tests were made @ the time of his born and all were normal.   He weighs : 6. 36 kg  now and  @ the time of born he was 2. 6 kg    He is very active laughs, screams and cries all are good      My question is :    Is there anything that my wife should change in her food consumption which affects baby ?   or    any thing else we should look into ?   Or   to leave as it is.       Please advise.   Thanks,                        

• 8

Sathya

N also u can give prune juice( if u can get) to the baby in the case of constipation.

Sathya

Hi! If ur child is bottlefeed or breastfed it is normal for a baby to not pooping upto a week. Feed the baby often so that the baby don't get dehydrated which may lead to constipation. As shika said, u can give gripe water (should be non- alcoholic) as per the indications. My baby is 5 months old now, he rolled over when he is 4. 5 months. Every baby is different and they grow on their pace. Google about tummy time n try to do that. It will help in developing their neck and leg muscles strength.

MadhusudhanRao

Thanks All for sharing your thoughts. @ Shikha Batra- Baby is completely on Breastfeeding no external food or milk at all. Also, he has not rolled over completely. Sometimes we have forced him to rollever but later we decreased doing that. As i said he screams, laughs & cries all are normal. dont know why ?

Hi! madhusudan, i can share with you what our pediatrician had told us ( we were in a similar situation some years back ); if the stool is not hard (when ever the baby passes does not matter # of days) then it is a sign that the baby has enough water and it is not a reason to worry, you need to make sure that the baby is exclusively nursed only and this will most likely workout once the baby is on solid foods..

Hi Madhusudan! U have not mentioned whether the baby is bottle fed or breastfed. Bottle fed babies are more at risk of getting constipated. As long as stools r not hard, the baby is not having any difficulty passing bowels, no signs of bloating, and does not cry due to stomachaches it is ok. If the child is bottle fed u cud if possible shift the child to breastfeed. Secondly u should not give top feed at this age I. e cow's or any other milk. U cud try giving one spoon gripe water which helps in digestion and bowel movement. While giving the baby's head should be up and with the help of a dropper u cud give slowly. If the baby is exclusively breastfed n has no associated complaints , passing of stools once in a week is normal. U just need to increase the frequency of feeds as sometimes undernourishment could be the cause of constipation.

You could also take a look at this blog for some suggestions on how mother's diet could affect breast milk and in turn the baby. Here it is: http://www.parentune.com/parent-blog/what-is-colic/323

Dear Madhusudhan, a healthy baby can go without passing motion for upto 7 days and maybe more. If your child is exclusively breastfed, it is likely that he is digesting all the milk (which is a good sign). I am not sure as to whether he would need an enema for this as I know this to be a completely normal and a healthy condition. Kindly consult another doctor if you are confused before you decide to go in for an enema. Your baby's motion will regularize as he grows as the digestive system is still developing. So to answer your questions: 1. You wife could refrain from spicy food (baby could get gas) and eat fresh home made food. 2. I suggest you wait now and need not think too much into this since your baby seems happy, healthy and weighs well. I do not think any treatment is necessary just for this. Lets see what the other parents have to say. Hope this helps.

Diaper leakage

Which diaper is best for babies. i am using mamy poko pants but I noticed my bab..

no sleeping

hii momies... nowadays my lo doesnt sleep.... she sleeps only when i turn her on..

my baby is 10 month old

my baby is ten months old n when ever he have milk n womits it smells bad is the..

cradle

my daughter is 7. 5m old.. I want to to leave her habit of cradle.. ny idea or s..

tummy

I m a mother of 11month boy. can anyone suggest how to overcome my tummy. I hve..

biscuits good for 6 months baby

wch biscuit shuld keep for 6 months baby...

Sore throat and cough for 3 month baby

Hi.. My daughter is 3months old nw. She has sore throat and cough. Her voice..

sipper

when shall I start sipper to my baby?