Potty Training

Swati Kotadia

Hi,   I m a regular reader of this site. But for the first time decided to use it for my queries. I have kid of 3 years. By this age he as able to speak and communicate(not fluently) but able to convey what he thinks. The problem m trying to potty train him from past 5 months but he never tells us when he wants to.... Its not that he does not know it .. ..  but don't want to do putty in toilet . .. . have tried various tricks like showing him the cartoon videos for potty training , telling him will give u chocolate when u do it at right place, or we both will play his favorite game and so on . . . but it does not work . .. . we both r working parents . ..  so have limited time (only week ends) for such training . .. . He is aware n knows every thing else .... like which new toys to buy , which clothes to wear and where to go .. . how does other kid play/talk ... even describes in details particular objects .. .. . but not this ....    any suggestions on this ???    Regards, Swati

Swati Kotadia

Thanks Anurima .. .. will surely try this out. . ..

Swati Kotadia

Dear Swati, 3 years is the average for most boys to be toilet trained by. However, the real hurdle in your case could be that you are trying to train him only on weekends. Children learn faster if they are taken to the toilet every few hours. You may ask the person looking after him the rest of the week, to also take him to the toilet every hour or so. Give them a set of spare pants and clothes. Make sure they are doing exactly how you do during weekends. What worked for my 3 year old is suddenly going off diapers. I stopped putting on diapers for him one fine day and he just went to the toilet on his own. I did explain the whole thing to him and he was already familiar with the idea of using the toilet but with pull up diapers. You may also get him underpants of his favourite character like spiderman, Ironman, Batman etc. He will surely not want to pee on his favourite character. Try not to scold him when he has an accidents, explain and encourage him to use the toilet. He will surely pick up the habit very soon, but you need to be consistent with his training. Good luck Swati :)

Hi Swati Kotadia pls refer to an earlier parent talk on a similar topic- http://www.parentune.com/parent-talk/potty-training/1958

my baby is 2. 1 yr but doesn't talk

hello everyone.. my baby is 2. 1 yr but till now he doesn't talk.. he say only m..

Behavior

He is always throwing all the things and when we are scolding him he gets angry..

Sukrit Wadhawan

Hi All, My daughter yells a lot. Please let me know what can be the reason and..

Biscuit to toddler

My kid (1 year 2 months) demands for biscuit a lot. Though I have alternate heal..

2 year toddler throwing tantrums.

She screams at the top of her voice i don't know what to do and how to control h..

How to kick out boredom from 18 months o..

hello mommies... i am a practising CS.. work from home... left my job for my son..

potty training

hello. my daughter is 2. 5 year old, I recently potty trained her. 15-20 days ev..

misbehavior

hi all.. can anyone guide how to deal in a situation where child is lifting hand..