Seven Principles of Clean Eating

I read this great article on the seven principles of Eating and i just had to share these with all my fellow parents. The principles are based on current nutrition science and are similar to recommendations made by public health organizations: Here are the seven core principles of today: 1. Choose whole, natural foods and seek to eliminate or minimize processed foods. Processed foods are anything in a box, bag, can, or package, and although there are always a few exceptions to the rule (like a bag of fresh green beans), the majority of your foods should be fresh. 2. Choose unrefined over refined foods. While it may not be possible all the times, you can up your intake of whole grains like brown rice and broken wheat . Beans and legumes are also important. Clean sugars include honey, maple syrup, and dehydrated sugar cane juice. 3. Include some protein, carbohydrate and fat at every meal. Most of us typically do well with carbohydrates and fat, but we often lack protein, especially in the early part of the day, like at breakfast and lunch. Protein is an important muscle-builder, and it can also help curb your appetite. When eaten throughout the day, it keeps us feeling full longer. Be aware of the kinds of meals you put together and space out your protein. 4. Watch out for fat, salt, and sugar.  This is easier than you think, particularly if you’ve cut out processed foods, which are responsible for most of our excess calories and high levels of fat, sugar, and salt. Clean foods are usually naturally low in all of these ingredients. 5. Eat five to six small meals throughout the day. This usually pans out into three main meals and two or three hefty snacks. Eating this way prevents you from skipping meals and overeating. It also keeps your blood sugar levels steady so energy doesn’t lag. 6. Don’t drink your calories.  High calorie drinks like specialty coffees and soft drinks, on average, tack on an extra 400 to 500 calories a day. Choose water first, or my personal favorite, unsweetened tea (any flavor). Other clean drinks: low-fat or skim milk and 100 percent fruit juice diluted with sparkling water. 7. Get moving. Regular physical activity is a must for many reasons. Not only does it decrease fat, strengthen and build muscle, and help you burn more energy at rest, it keeps your heart, lungs, and bones healthy and strong. I hope you all find it as informative as i did.  

Great read Bhavna. What we eat and how we eat will also influence our children's eating habits in their later life. So we should make healthy eating a lifestyle and set a good example for the next generation.

simple and effective. like it. :)

The best guidelines I think are hidden in our own childhood. Eat the food you ate, play the way you played, read the way you read... and do less of the things you KNOW are harming your child, TV, iPad, processed food, eating out, fizzy drinks...

baby food

hi! I have a 5 months old baby nd I'm working since 2 weeks. so I feed her my mi..

diet

hi.. , my son is 7months old and I want to feed almond and cashew . so plz sugge..

sabudana kheer

how will make sabudana kheer for baby

ghutti ... is it good to give dabur jana..

Hi i have not started any ghutti to my baby ... is it ok to give dabur janam ghu..

idea to preserve milk while travelling i..

as I'm gonna travel for 4-5 hours, how can I carry milk safely?? as it is summe..

Nutrition

Hi my baby is 8 months old. Can I give him egg yolk?

idly

what to mix with idly? my baby is 6months

Snacks

My Lil one is 1yr 5 months. She loves fresh cheese. Is tat Ok if I give fresh..