Sleeping position of an infant

Pragati Pandey

Hi I want to know what should be the sleeping position of an infant. Is it sides or back? Acc to my paediatric infants should sleep on sides. Please guide

• 3

Pragati pandey

Thanks for your valuable suggestions

Zanzanil Patel

Hi nikita, Putting kids to sleep in stomach is absolute no no. When children vomit in sleep in this position their nose can get chocked with vomit or could even keep breathing the bacteria from the bed. Pragati, the correct position to sleep a baby is indeed on their back. This way even if they vomit the fluids will drop from over the ears but not get into it. Please read thru the article the http://m.kidshealth.org/parent/general/sleep/sids.html

Hi Pragati, your paediatrician is right. Children should be sleeping on their sides or on their tummy. Reason is that they tend to drool and throw up milk. If they are on their back, the regurgitated milk can go into the ears and cause infection. Also, sleeping on their tummy makes them feel cozier and securer rather than sleeping flat on their back. there are many advantages to sleeping on tummy or back: mental security for the child, physical security (from mosquito bites, or accidentally falling things) and with children who are very gassy, it helps relieve gas if they are on their tummy, children learn to crawl faster because they pick themselves up from the tummy down position. If the child is on his back, he will not be able to drag himself to reach somewhere). the only disadvantage of sleeping on the tummy is the child might regurgitate milk if there is not sufficient time gap as his stomach gets pressed. so ideally, put the child on his tummy only after burping him. hope this helps

suking honey nipple

is suking honey nippal is bad for health of 8 month baby my baby suking it when..

infants feed

My two months old is on breast feed. is it good to give her formula feed also?..

sitting problem

my baby is not sitting properly. he is 9month.

farex or lactogen for 1 and half month b..

my son vomit evrytym he feeds wat must b the reason n wat is best for him from b..

Antibiotics for cough

my son is just 2 months old.. he is having severe cough since a week.. my Doctor..

Crying in night.

My 11 months daughter Wake up and crying every half n hour in night..

baby cries without breathing for more th..

hi.... my baby is 1. 5 months old... I don't know what goes wrong with him he cr..