Sucking thumb at 2 yrs

Neha Mathur

Dear all, My son who has recently completed 2 yrs has started sucking his thumb seeing his elder brother who is 3. 5 yrs old. Along with thumb sucking, he also bites his nails to the extent that sometimes it starts bleeding. No form of counselling or scolding helps. Pls suggest what to do. Regards, Neha

• 3

Hi Neha, I can understand your concern as a mother. However, you may try and talk to your elder son about his thumb sucking habit. Like I said earlier, he may be feeling neglected so need to spend some more time. As for nail biting habit do you have anybody in the family or the house help who bite their nails. Check because children imitate elders and other people. So there is somebody who is unknowingly biting their nails. Hope this helps.

neha mathur

Hi swati, my elder son only sucks thumb. .doesn't bite nails.. The younger one has started sucking thumb seeing his elder Bro and biting nails is a totally new habit out of nowhere...

Hi Neha, Have you tried talking to your elder son about his nail biting habit. Chances are that he is feeling neglected and to get your attention he has started biting his nails. Hence you need to talk to your elder son first. Once your elder son stops biting his nails the younger one will stop on his own. Hope this helps.

Hesitancy in communication

my baby is 2 year 9 months. he has been going to play school from past 5 months..

preparing baby for creche

my daughter is 21 month old. I want her to be adjusted in the creche so that I c..

Child behaviour

hello all, my daughter has started throwing things when we do not complete her w..

1. 6yr baby cries so much on all small t..

i dnt knw what to do feeling so upset coz my baby cry to much on small small iss..

school dilemma

my son cries every day before going to school

not social

my is not vry social c ll luv to be with me only .. earlier c was vry friendly b..

Hw to gt rid of thumb sucking habit of c..

I have twice boy n girl they are premature. Both of Thm put thumb in a mouth. Th..

adamant and not eating food

my child is 1 year 8 months. she is becoming more adamant and shout loudly, in p..