Sports and Games

swimming fear

Khushbu Jain

Apr 23, 2013

Hello! My daughter is seven years old and has been in love with the water since as long as I can remember. She had swimming in her class but that was only a splash pool with waist deep water and she loved it. I recently started taking her to professional swimming classes and she does a great job in the baby pool. However, she is extremely scared of going into the deep side and ends up crying every night asking me to stop her swimming lessons. Her coach says her swimming movement are the best amongst all the kids in the pool and she only needs to overcome her fear. However he takes her forcibly in the deep and makes her do lengths and breadths of the pool at least once in the entire time slot. She is not being able to master breathing technique and I think her fear arises from that. Though I will concentrate on getting her learn the breathing but for that she needs to get into the deep and practise. What I want to know is whether I should continue wiht her lessons with some persuation or should I simply stop it as she might develop a phobia for water permanantly which she otherwise loves. Would really appreciate any thoughts and help on this!

• 6

khushbu jain

Hey guys... just wanna share it with you that whatever you said totally worked.. I mean it was no short of a miracle... yesterday afternoon I was seeking help and in the evening she started swimming on her own! Garima, when you said it may happen sooner than you expect you were so right :D and she actually made a pool buddy who was a little elder and helpful. Twice she went with her and then even before I could realise, she was covering the breadth of the pool on her own! YOur advice was of immense help and can't thank enough the both of you!

gaurima

U r Most WELCOME :)

khushbu jain

:) yeah gaurima.. I guess I'll do that. Videos and pool friendships should work. Thanks so much! getting an unbiased perspective on this really helps!

Dyuti

Hey Khushbu. The big pool is huge compared to the baby pool and your daughter must be afraid of the size and depth of water. You could sit and have a chat with her that there is nothing to be afraid of as the coach is there. Also make sure she knows that the coach thinks that shes the best among the other children (this will boost her confidence). As Gaurima suggested, a friend or a family member can go for a swim with her without the stress of being in a swimming class. She can play and have fun in the big pool. Since she loves water, I feel she needs some time to get comfortable in the big pool. Good luck :)

gaurima

Don't force her at all ...let her take her time from baby pool to the big pool shallow area and finally towards deeper and part. let her enjoy and master her current skills ... progress will happen may be sooner than you think : have FAITH. Watch swimming videos with her, encourage pool friendships with good swimmers of her age. Ask the coach to be gentle and non pushy and assist her to build her courage ... he can tell her that he knows that she is one of the best swimmers and he's waiting for the day she will herself ask him to try out more depths.

gaurima

hey dear !! I can understand your predicament ...You can try various approaches ... like 1)you may ask any family member to go for a swim with her, you explain her objectively about how anyone learn swimming, driving, cycling and even firewalking.

which sports are ideal for girls of 7-11..

introducing sports and games in the daily routine. of kids

How to increase stamina in Kids?

My son is 7 years old and is doing Skating for almost an year now. He is good wi..

about sports diet

my son is 7 years old.. he is a swimmer.. so plz can u tell me about good nutrit..

games&sports

sports& games

Sports

How encourage children to play sports

Healthy and fit

I live in a locality with limited area or i would say no area or park as such fo..

My son doesn't want to go outside to pla..

My son is 8 years old, he doesn’t want to go outside to play how can I push him?