THEY’LL DO WHAT YOU DO, NOT WHAT YOU TELL THEM TO DO!

Mohit Sawhney

“Is this magic?”, I am left wondering these days. As a parent, I always wished that Tanav, my 7 year old son, reads more and expresses himself better. Perhaps, I would have told him too several times in the past but that counseling hadn’t helped one bit. And today, Tanav, is sitting next to me and writing his journal! It is about 10 PM and he has been following this daily nightly ritual since last 7 days. Any parent would be curious to read what they write in their diary. I’m no different. It’s such a wonder to see this little guy, who was in my lap till not so long ago, write his mind! He is giving me the permission to read it (.. well so far so good). He has a section called Thank You For, where he is writing about what he is grateful for – for giving us this life, the house, food.. Another section called I Want To, where he writes about what he wants to do today, tomorrow and in life. Some of his words are eye-openers, like when he wrote, I want to be a Science Teacher. There is another section called Doing,where he writes about what he and others in the family are doing. Papa is writing, Mom is sleeping.. There are also, of course, a lot of his random thoughts on the pages. He is also reading a lot these days. Gerenimo Stilton’s The Phoenix of Destiny. It’s not an easy book o read, not for him. But last Sunday, he was sitting on his desk for over an hour reading. I am not sure how much he is absorbing, but that doesn’t matter at the moment. I am so glad that he is enjoying reading and that too independently! This would have been a far cry till a few months back. It’s more surprising that Tanav is continuing to do the above despite the fact that my nieces, his cousins are here. He still takes out the time to read and write from his busy play schedule! Now, you must be wondering how this change happened? Answer is pretty simple but we parents keep forgetting it. Tanav does so because he is observing what his Mum and Dad do. The sections in his diary look familiar to me because my journal also has sections for Gratitude, Random Notes, What I want to do etc. I read quite a bit and write daily. Deepti does so too. The point I want to put across in today’s post is that: Those small eyes and ears are observing you in what you do. They are learning from you. They will do what you do, not what you ask them to do! Question: How has your experience been in inculcating a new habit in your child’s? Share your thoughts below with a reference to this blog.

• 1

Mohit - this was a treat to read. Children have a great desire to explore, especially in early years and its time like these you could reassure yourself that life is beautiful for your LO.

Learning

Learning

inattentive kid

My 9 years old boy is never ready to listen me. I always repeat the instructio..

my child is vry stun

main jo bhi kahungi abhi nahi bolta. to maine chod kar bhi dekha but no change s..

How to make child understand the importa..

My child do each work very slowly including studies. He starts his own games in..

my daughter is 10yrs. she is aggressive..

give me some tips. how to overcome it.

My Son keeps comparing with his younger..

How to get my son back on track

social interaction

my son is very reluctant in mingling with people. he is comfortable with kids of..