Tooth paste for toodler

Taruna Khanijow

My daughter is 1 year and 11 months old and she cannot brush her teeth. As per her doctor, I am just applying glycerin on her gums with the help of a bud and brushing her teeth with water. But I feel that I should use tooth paste now. I read somewhere that we should use a tooth paste without fluoride for toodlers. Please suggest me which tooth paste should I use for her.   Parentune team: I could not able to find any parenting blog on this topic. I trust Parentune and read parenting blogs and parent talk before I ask anyone or doctor or read any other website. It would be great if you can post a parenting blog related to this (if it is not currently present). It might help other parents. Thank you so much in advance.

Mansi Srivastava

Taruna Khanijow, i developed this habit close to when he was two years. I used to give drinking water in a glass and stand him at the sink. First i used to do it, and then he copied me. it wasn't clean at the first go, but he understood soon. also, before bedtime, i used to ensure he drinks a few sips of water to wash his mouth properly.

Sojal

Hi Taruna, Use a finger brush at the beginning and then you can give her one of her own. and use little quantity of paste but do the 'brushing' activity for longer.

Taruna Khanijow

Thanks Manas for your suggestion. At what age you have developed a habit of rinsing his mouth. Does he do himself now? I rinse her mouth once a day before sleep but with flitered water as she might take some water inside. Actually I am working mother, so I have to guide my maid who takes care of her when I am at work about rinsing her mouth but I cannot rely on her fully. Maids are just maids.

Mansi Srivastava

Taruna Khanijow I had the same issue but then found one toothpaste that is no-flouride. But as a safety measure, i use the toothpaste only once a day. At night, i get my child to brush his teeth simply with water and brush (no toothpaste); when he uses a paste, i ensure he rinses his mouth properly. also trying to get him into the habit of rinsing his mouth after every meal to keep his mouth hygienic.

Taruna Khanijow

Thank you Nitin for your prompt action. Thanks Monika & Ankita for your suggestions.

Hi Taruna Khanijow, You may find this parent talk relevant parents have discussed about toothpastes here- http://www.parentune.com/parent-talk/how-to-clean-teeth/1405

Monika

Taruna Khanijow, Try and do a market recce and you will find a suitable toothpaste that is non-fluoridated. These are made specially for children and come in gel version also with lots of flavours. In fact they are safe enough and do not require rinsing out post brushing.

Ankita A Talwar

Hi Taruna, Your concern about the non-flouride toothpaste for children is valid enough and infact there are a lot of brands who are now making toothpastes without flouride for children. Check at your local chemist/pharmacy and then you can choose. They come in different versions as per age group. There are a whole lot of toothbrushes also available as per age--finger brush, gum massage brushed, soft brushes etc.

Taruna Khanijow Thank You for your valuable input. We shall this this on to our Expert panel, especially to Dr. sonali, and request for a focused blog on this topic. Meanwhile- this similar parent talk URL may be useful. http://www.parentune.com/parent-talk/dental-issues/387 Dr. Sonali Bassi - for your inputs pls. Ankita A Talwar - for the blog.

vaccination

Hi! my son is 18 months old. His weight is 9 kg. He is a fussy eater. Is his we..

2. 3 yrs old having severe cough and col..

hi moms... my 2. 3 yrs old is having severe cough and cold. please suggest some..

suffering from cough

Hi my daughter is 19 months old and has got cough which irritates her especiall..

Rusk for baby

Hi . . Pls suggest me, can i give rusk with milk for my 14month boy baby

weight and height

average weight and hight of 1yr 9month baby girl

how to stop breastfeeding ...

my baby is 1. 6ys old and dont like eating anything.. somtimes she eats somethg..

my baby shower 1 yr 8 month. she so nt h..

my baby shower nt having her food properly