Hi my child's age is 12 yrs. The atmosphere was not according him as his father went into coma as he was three yrs old .His father still fface mood swings and depression problem. Due to his problems he used to misbehave with his own child. My son was good in study. But from last one year we are living in joint family and he is loosing his concentration in studies and gets angry soon. How should I convince him to study well and behave well.

Created by
Updated on Oct 17, 2019

child-psychology Corner

Your son is a pre teen. There will be changes in his body and mind. Please understand from his perspective. This is attention seeking behaviour. You will have to change your way of questioning and also your attitude towards him. Use humour while talking to him. Give him options to choose from. Take him on walks or car drives to engage in conversation as teen boys prefer to beside you while talking. Make this once a week ritual. During such talks gently broach the topic of his future goal. Then guide him on reaching his goals and assure your support. At this stage he may not share Much about school and friends. So create a dinner ritual where each of you share your daily experiences. Be more accepting and patient with the changes. Please be more appreciative. Sit down with him and set a routine. Break his study time into slots of 45 min study and 5 min break. Treat him to an extra hour of play in the weekend if he completes his tasks for the week. Please read this - https://www.parentune.com/parent-blog/parenting-teen/123 I hope this helps. I hope this helps.

Login or Signup to see Expert's complete response

Also Read

My baby is not getting close to his grand parents..

Hi Umme Abdul Rahman, I understand your concern...

Hi, my 6 years old extremely active son, who is st..

Hi Rati Saxena, Looks like you have answered befo..

hi, my son is arnd 11yrs. he is smart & active fo..

Hi Sumit Singhal, It is attention seeking behaviou..

my son is 12 yrs and just doesn't want to study....

Hi Gargi Patra, I understand your concern. Times..

my child is 6 yrs old. I am facing the following p..

Hi Bhawna Agarwal, Your child's behaviour may be..

+ Ask an expert
Ask your queries to Doctors & Experts

Ask your queries to Doctors & Experts

Download APP

Find answers from Doctors about your baby's health and development


24X7 Parents' Partner

Download APP

31% Queries Answered Instantly