How To Improve Self-Esteem And Confidence In Teenagers
Aug 18, 2022, 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
While it can be normal for a teenager to lack confidence at times, people with self-esteem issues normally view themselves differently to how others view them. Low self-esteem can be particularly hard for young people especially when they’re doing things like starting high school or work, and forming new friendships and relationships. Keep reading to understand self-esteem issues that may come up for your teenager and ways to help your child feel better about themselves and their capabilities. How we feel about ourselves is expressed through our actions, body language, and attitude in just about every interaction we participate in daily. But many of us can clearly recall how insecure we felt as teens. We may have felt awkward, gawky, or invisible among our peers. We may have suffered academically because we didn’t trust in our own abilities. We may have avoided areas of interest such as sports or music because we felt we didn’t measure up to the other teens. Indeed, confident, self-assured adults don’t always start out that way! In this live workshop, you can find answers to questions like-
- Why does the self-esteem of teenagers matter?
- How is self-esteem different from self-confidence? Could you please share some examples.
- Teenage years are very vulnerable, and important from the growth point of view, so how can low self-esteem hamper the confidence levels of children?
- Talking about low self-esteem in teenagers, what are the common signs of low self-esteem levels in teenagers?
- How can parents play an active role in improving the self-esteem & confidence levels of their children?
- What are the crucial factors that can contribute to the low self-esteem levels of children?
- Unrealistic expectations can lower the morale of children and this can be a potential factor that can affect their self-esteem levels in a negative way. So, what should a child do in such a situation?
- How can teachers help in embracing the growth mindset of teenagers with low self-esteem levels?
- Could you suggest some effective strategies or activities that will increase the self-esteem levels of the teenagers?
- Suggest some effective tips that will help a child to deal with failure in a sporting manner?
- Can low self-esteem levels lead to anxiety and depression in teenagers?
- Is it okay for the parents to seek help from a counselor or a psychologist?
Dr. Vidya Ganapathy, Child and Family Psychiatrist
Dr. Vidya has 15 years of experience in the field of Psychiatry. Her special area of expertise include extensive experience in designing and implementing individualised intervention plans for children with ADHD.
| Aug 13, 2022
My daughter who will soon be 11 years, doens't hold a good opinion about herself, because of her physical appearance and performance in studies. She keeps saying she is dumb and compares herself with her sister all the time who has been a school topper throughout. Though I used to be strict in studies with her when she was small but now I have realised marks are not that important as much is her self esteem. How can I undo her past memories and make her a confident child?
| Aug 13, 2022
My daughter is 14 years old and she prefers to do everything last minute and not participate in household chores and she even refuses to manage her own things. This makes me lose my tempers and we have an argument every now and then which goes on a different tangent and we end up hurting each other and not talking to each other for a day or two . This lowers the energy of the entire house. I don't know how to make her listen to me and unlearn procrastination and casual approach towards things.
| Aug 13, 2022
My son is 13 years old. Since the time of pandemic he has changed a lot. He doesn't take studies seriously, prefers to stay alone in his room, watches videos on YouTube or chats with his friends for hours. He doens't play with his younger sister and physically hurt her when they have an argument. He is also not very comfortable in his father's presence and they don't share a good equation. How do I deal with this and make things right at home? Looking forward to your suggestions Ma'am !thanks in advance 🙏🏻
| Aug 14, 2022
Hi, i am seeing few problem with my cousins children during examinations especially oral ones, they are having high anxiety and fear. This is making them perform in a lower and score less, further their morale is coming down and are loosing interest in studies. Suggest a way to boost their confidence and help them perform to their potential.
| Aug 15, 2022
Hi. My daughter is 15 years old, she is shy when it comes to talking to strangers. But with her friends she talks the entire day on phone or chats with them. She doesn’t want to step out of the house or go for outing with family and prefers being alone. She was very confident as a child but with growing age she is becoming conscious and shy. Is this something to be worried about? Please guide🙏
Please complete the form to send your question to Dr. Vidya Ganapathy