How To Protect Your Teenager From The Negative Influence Of Peer Pressure
Sep 29, 2022, 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Well, everything and everyone around a child influences their behaviors in early childhood and well beyond. It is a fact that children’s relationship with their peers has a major role in influencing their social, emotional, and psychological development. Indeed, peer influence is remarkably powerful and impactful in their developmental stages, especially through the early childhood and teenage years. To add to this, peer relationships exert enormous influence on children, shaping their lives, both positively and negatively. This means that everything from fostering positive feelings and competence abilities to bullying and rejection can impact their development. Positive peer influence can help children develop new abilities, stimulate their interest in extracurricular activities like sports, exercise or music, and instill a competitive spirit in them. However, peer pressure can also influence children in a negative way, where they may behave in wrong ways, and even learn inappropriate behaviors from their peers. Most of the time, teens are largely influenced to indulge in antisocial activities and substance abuse as a result of negative peer pressure. Therefore, in this live workshop with the expert, you can learn about the following things-
- What is meant by peer pressure?
- How can peer pressure be negative? Please share some examples.
- What is the basic difference between positive and negative peer pressure?
- What are the warning signs that one should look out for in case of a negative peer pressure?
- What common behavioral changes will a teenager display in case he/she is undergoing a negative peer influence?
- How can negative peer influence impact the academic performance of a teenager at school?
- How can negative peer pressure influence the overall mental health of a teenager?
- How can negative peer influence lead to the bullying of a teenager? How should one overcome that?
- Teenage years are extremely vulnerable, so how can a negative peer influence impact the decision making skills of a teenage child?
- How can negative peer influence impact the social development of a teenager?
- In case a teenager is getting used to substance abuse due to the negative influence of their peers, what should the parents do in such a situation?
- What coping strategies should the parents adopt in order to overcome the negative influence of peer pressure?
- When is the right time for the parents to seek intervention from a counselor?
Dr. Vidya Ganapathy, Child and Family Psychiatrist
Dr. Vidya has 15 years of experience in the field of Psychiatry. Her special area of expertise include extensive experience in designing and implementing individualised intervention plans for children with ADHD.
| Sep 28, 2022
Hello Ma'am ! My daughter is 12 years old. I am scared and tensed as I feel she is not in a good company at school . Since I don't allow her to have food in the school canteen everyday and have fixed just one day in a week for it, she is roaming around with friends who are super rich children and buy her canteen food or let her use their costly stuff. Of late, I feel she has been hiding things from me too. How should I deal with this situation and make her understand that it's not healthy for her and she should stay away from such children .
| Sep 28, 2022
Ma'am my concern is my 14 year old son doens't want to mingle with agemates. He remains aloof in school as well as at home. He prefers to sit alone in class and at home too he doesn't like going out. He doens't have friends in society where we stay. He has been like this since the beginning but after becoming a teenager he is further trying to seclude himself. Is this something I should be concerned about, or is this a normal behaviour? Please guide me I am very much worried for him.
| Sep 28, 2022
Hi madam my nephew is 16 year old and he is so confident and has puts in so much of attitude, he is very sure that all his peers are of no capabilities.. I some how doubt that he is an introvert and is averting people to ensure he is never pointed out. Please suggest to bring him more close to people.
| Sep 29, 2022
Namstey Ma’am ! My 12 years old daughter has recently started to play with a girl in our neighbourhood who seems very snobbish to me. She keeps on bullying my girl by saying things like “Oh! So you don’t even have this gadget at home or you don’t even know how to do this. ” She seems quite mature her age. However, her mother is a good friend of mine. How do I stop my girl from being in touch with this other girl without affecting my relationship with her mother. Please guide.
Please complete the form to send your question to Dr. Vidya Ganapathy