Importance Of Sleep For Babies How To Set A Routine
Aug 30, 2022, 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
For a new mother, it gets very difficult to set a proper routine for her baby. But, it is very essential to set one as the baby must get proper sleep as it promotes development, elevates their mood and ensures they are active. It is important for parents to inculcate the habit of proper sleep schedules. The sleeping pattern and number of hours of sleep keep changing as the baby grows. A newborn (up to one year old) baby generally requires 15-16 hours of sleep, a toddler (over one year) requires 12-13 hours, children (three to 12 years) require nine to 12 hours and teenagers usually require eight to nine hours of sleep daily. By introducing a simple and consistent routine, you will help your baby develop a healthy sleeping habit. The aim should be to introduce a regular sleeping time between 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm. Start with a short routine and then extend the time frame later. Moreover, a fixed bedtime routine sets the right mood at the right time for the baby, and she feels relaxed and has a sound sleep. A bedtime routine when followed while traveling helps the baby to adjust more easily to her new surroundings. A set bedtime routine is also beneficial for the parents. It helps the parents to set aside time to spend with the little one. In this live workshop, you can find answers to questions like-
- Why is adequate sleep important in infancy?
- When do babies start sleeping through the night?
- On an average, for how many hours should a baby sleep?
- Why is it important to build a good bedtime routine?
- When is the right time to start the bedtime routine for the baby?
- How can a regular sleep cycle impact the overall growth of the baby?
- Suggest some healthy and interesting ideas for a perfect bedtime routine.
- It is said that bathing before bedtime will also help in calming down the baby. In case the baby gets excited after the bath, what should a parent do in such a situation?
- How can bedtime stories help in shaping the baby’s sleep routine?
- What are the essential steps that a parent should take to set up the proper sleep routine for their baby?
- What are the benefits of following a proper bedtime routine?
- Is it okay to give the pacifier to the baby while he is sleeping?
- For a 4 to 12 month old baby, how can reading help them fall asleep?
- Is it normal for a baby to wake up in the middle of the night due to hunger? What should a parent do in such a situation?
- What is co-sleeping? And is it safe for the baby?
- How can the safety of the baby be assured while he is sleeping?
- What should a parent do if the baby is facing problems while falling asleep?
- When is the right time for the parents to seek guidance from the paediatrician?
Dr. Vandita Rajesh, Sleep Science Educator And An Infant Feeding Specialist
Dr. Vandita Rajesh is a Sleep Science Educator And An Infant Feeding Specialist. She has helped parents in catering to problems revolving around their babies sleep health along with guiding them on how they can make way for a healthy sleep routine.
| Aug 28, 2022
Hello doctor. My baby is 1 year 2 moths old. He sleeps hole day and wake up in the night. Some times he sleep at evening and wake up at early morning without eating anything. I am very disturbed. I am also a working mom. Because of not sleeping properly i also felt very irritation and distrubnes in my nature. Please help what will I do. How i manage his sleeping schedule?
| Aug 29, 2022
Hello Doctor! My baby doens't sleep at a stretch. She is 5 months old. she sleeps for 15-20 minutes then starts crying as soon as she is put on the bed and the same scene continues at night. I am a working mother and I feel so tired and sleepy throughout the day. Please guide me with the steps to put my baby to sleep at night for longer duration. She is on exclusive breastfeeding. During daytime my mother-in-law give her expressed milk through bottle.
| Aug 29, 2022
I am a school teacher and I need to catch school bus at 6. 30 am for that I need to wake up at 4. 30 am. My son is 10 months old, he makes sure to be awake when I wake up in the morning and keeps on clinging to me for breastmilk. This makes me miss my bus everyday and leaves me with a crying baby. I am unable to control my anxiety in the morning ,besides this derails the entire schedule and I feel edgy and sometimes scold students at school on trivial issues. What can be done so that he keeps on sleeping until I Leave and everything can be put on track?your suggestions are valuable to many parents like me . Thanks in advance 🙏🏻
Please complete the form to send your question to Dr. Vandita Rajesh