Is your baby underweight? Expert Tips For Parents
Aug 23, 2023, 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Newborn baby's weight has always been a concern for new mommies and when you are breastfeeding your baby you are always in doubt whether the baby is fed well?
First of all, you have to understand how a baby's weight is measured.
Baby weight is a significant way to know how the baby is growing and progressing during the course of pregnancy and even after birth.
Most pediatricians measure the growth of a baby between the regular appointments for the first year, with a lot of focus on the first 6 months. Weights are recorded and become a guide to how a baby is growing individually. It is important to understand here that these measurements are relevant only to individual babies, and should not be used for comparisons.
When it comes to your child's weight, here are 10 important points that we need to know!
1. Start Early: Your baby's birth weight is largely dependent on you. A well-balanced diet, even before conception, helps in having a healthy weight baby. This is why preconception planning is important.
2. Weight Gain is Maximum in the Last Stretch: Many women worry when they do not gain a lot of weight during their first and second trimesters of pregnancy. However, unless your doctors tell you to fret, keep those anxieties away. A pregnant mother should focus on having a well-balanced diet in these months to have a healthy baby
3. The Average Weight of Indian Babies: The average weight of an Indian infant, which is considered healthy, is between 2.7 to 2.9 kgs.
4. The Formula Makes Babies Chubbier: Formula-fed infants tend to have a higher weight gain as compared to breastmilk-fed infants.
5. Every Child is Unique: Every child starts with a different weight and has her own growth rate. It is not absolute body weight, but her growth pattern which is more important. The child should be gaining weight over a period of time
6. Weight is not the only growth indicator: That weight gain is not the only indicator of the growth of the child. Height gain is an equally important growth indicator of the child.
Attend this Expert Workshop led by Clinical Nutritionist Huda Shaikh and learn the best practices for ensuring healthy weight gain in infants and learn practical tips that can assist you in taking better care of your baby.
Huda Shaikh, Clinical Nutritionist
Huda Shaikh is a Nutritionist, clinical dietitian, health blogger, motivational speaker, healthy recipe designer and the Founder and Director of Nutribond. She has extensive knowledge about weight loss and has designed many healthy recipes.
Please complete the form to send your question to Huda Shaikh