5 Home remedies for grey hair in children
Created by Swati Nitin Gupta Updated on Sep 08, 2016
White or grey hair for an adult is acceptable but if our child’s hair starts greying it is a matter of concern. Not only the child may become conscious of his/her premature greying but may also start losing his/her confidence, as it is about self image. So what could a parent do? Precaution and awareness is the key here. But the question is how does a parent watch out for premature greying in their child? There are some home remedies that help in reducing the premature greying in children. But before we take a look at the home remedies to reduce premature greying in your child, let’s understand what causes them in the first place.
Why does premature greying happen?
Premature greying can be because of numerous reasons. However, there are some reasons that aids in premature greying in your child. If your child is showing the signs of premature greying then read on:
1. Heredity: If premature greying runs in your family for instance your parents/grandparents or your spouse’s parents/grandparents or in your own case or your spouse’s case then there are chances that your child will have early onset of grey hair.
2. Lack of proper nutrition: Lack of proper nutrition can be the other reason for premature greying in children is lack of proper nutrition. If the child is a fussy eater, it may be the case of s/he suffering from a deficiency of vitamins or minerals, which may lead to premature greying for the child.
3. Increased intake of junk food: Does your child love junk food? Does he or she savour it often enough? If you answered in affirmative then this may also be the reason for premature greying in your child. The high salt present in the junk food is the culprit here.
4. Hormonal imbalance: Hormonal imbalance may also trigger premature greying in your child. Hormonal imbalance may require medical intervention. Hormonal imbalance also results because of lack of poor eating habits.
So how do you counter the premature greying in our child? Here are few home remedies that you may try
1. Curry leaves: Curry leaves are known to be one of the best home remedies to cure premature greying in children. Heat the hair oil in a pan and add curry leaves to it. Once the curry leaves turn black, remove from fire, filter it and let it cool. Once it’s room temperature, apply this mixture on your child’s hair.
2. Amla and coconut oil: Amla or Indian gooseberry is another good source to treat premature greying in children. Take coconut oil in a pan and add amla pieces to it. Let it come to boil. Remove from fire, filter it and let it cool down. Apply this concoction to your child’s hair and leave it overnight. Wash it with lukewarm water the next morning.
3. Margosa herb oil: Margosa herb is another natural remedy that helps in reducing premature greying in children. You may massage your child’s head with this herb oil and leave it overnight. Wash your child’s hair with lukewarm water.
4. Sour buttermilk: Just like you apply curd to your hair you could apply sour buttermilk to your child’s hair and leave it for 15-20 minutes and then wash his or her hair with lukewarm water.
5. Blend of sesame and carrot seed oil: This is another effective treatment for premature greying in children. You may blend four tablespoons of sesame oil with half tablespoon of carrot seed oil and apply this mixture on your child’s hair. Leave it overnight and wash it next day with lukewarm water.
Hope these remedies help you in your efforts to reduce premature greying in your child. If you have any other home remedy please do share with us in the comments section below.
| May 21, 2017
which shampoo is better for 4 years baby
| May 21, 2017
which shampoo can be used for hair wash of 6 years old child
| Feb 09, 2017
Which shampoo i can use for washing hair?
| Feb 05, 2017
what I can use for washing hair of my daughter.
| Nov 11, 2016
very informative.. u can also add some crushed fenugreek( methi )seeds and pieces of aloevera while boiling amla and coconut oil.. i have been using for my kid.
| Nov 11, 2016
| Nov 07, 2016
Can I apply coconut oil remedy for 8 month old baby?
| Nov 06, 2016
| Nov 05, 2016
Very informative ... thanks for home remedies
| Sep 26, 2016
Thanks for valuable information.. I will also try it
| Sep 24, 2016
thanks for the valuable information
| Sep 14, 2016
Thanks for the informative blog post Swati. Premature greying has become pretty common these days.
| Sep 09, 2016
tq nice n informative..
| Sep 08, 2016
It's very good article... I was having grey hair since childhood... dnt know why but now I will tk care of my kid...