Cool in Summer
Created by Anurima Updated on Jun 04, 2014
Summer has many downslides—hot days, bored children cooped up inside the house, mosquitoes, water shortage...the list is endless. But like any silver lining in a dark cloud, here are a few things we love about summers (in fact, not just we, but children too)...vacations, swimming, clear skies, short shorts, and not to forget the luscious watermelons and juicy sweet limes. Aren’t they just everyone’s favourite? These fruits are big on health—they are loaded with antioxidants, have cooling properties, hydrate the body, and keep the stomach satisfied.
And now we get to you three interesting, yummy ways of indulging in some fruity recipes, courtesy food expert Smita Srivastava, from littlefoodjunction.com.
Vegan Watermelon Onion Salad
1 bowl full of watermelon cubes
1 small onion
1 tsp finely chopped mint leaves
1 tsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Cut watermelon into bite sizes to make it easier for little ones to eat.
1) Slice onion thinly.
2) In a large bowl, toss together the watermelon cubes, onion slices.
3) Season with mint leaves, salt, and pepper.
4) Chill for sometime. Just before serving, add a tsp of freshly-squeezed lemon juice and toss again.
Jellyfish on my Plate
1 Slice of small watermelon
2 cucumber slices
½ slice of carrot
1 olive sliced
Fresh dill sprigs
1. Arrange the slice of watermelon, horizontally, on a small plate.
2. Place the cucumber slices and slices olives as eyes.
3. Put the carrot in place of the mouth.
4. Cut small circles out of the cheese and put it for the cheeks of the jelly fish.
5. Cut thin strips of cucumber and arrange as the picture shows.
6. Use dill or any edible herbs or leaves to signify sea weeds. Your jellyfish is ready to serve.
The Three Bears
1 sweet lime (mausambi)
8 pieces of black olives
1. Slice sweet lime thinly and arrange on a plate as shown in the photograph.
2. Slice 7 olives into two and the remaining into small semi-circles.
3. Slice the cucumber and carrot too.
4. On the sweet lime, put carrots as eyes and top them with olive halves.
5. Place cucumber and the remaining olives for ears and eyes too.
Some custom error
Some custom error