Female Genital Mutilation - How To Create Awareness?
Created by Swati Nitin Gupta Updated on Mar 03, 2021
On the ‘International Day of Zero Tolerance For Female Genital Mutilation’, let’s understand what is female genital mutilation? Why is it practiced in certain communities? Is it practiced in African countries only or is it prevalent in India too?And why should it be banned? Read on to know more.
Female genital mutilation (FGM) is the cruel practice that involves altering or even injuring the female genitalia for non-medical reasons. Internationally it is a violation of human rights of girls and women and hence needs to be banned from the world. However, there are certain communities where the practice is still legal. However, United Nations, along with other bodies is working diligently to create awareness amongst societies practicing it and the general public.
But before we learn about how we can create awareness let’s understand why is it practiced in the first place.
What Is Female Genital Mutilation?
Female Genital Mutilation is an unhygienic way of cutting the head of the clitoris in young girls and women by untrained midwives using blades and knives. Since the cut is non-medical there is no medical term for this mutilation. In addition, there is no proper post-cut care for young girls and hence the risk of numerous diseases increases.
What AreThe Risk Factors For Girls?
Like discussed above there can be numerous risk factors for young girls. Some of them are listed below
- Increased bleeding leading to severe blood loss and death in some cases
- Chances of septic in the area
- Difficulty in childbirth and death of newborn
- Frequent urinary tract infections
- Difficulty in sitting and standing for too long
- Difficulty in passing urine and motion as well
WhyIs It Practised?
In most of the communities, the reason for female genital mutilation is as follows
- Dominance over women
- To curb women’s sexual desires
- To stopwomen from straying away from a marriage
Why Should Female Genital Mutilation Not Be Encouraged?
Female genital mutilation is a violation of basic human rights of a girl/woman. It is not only a violation of human rights but also violation of dignity, right to a healthy life and right to be free from torture including cruel and inhuman treatment. How Can You Create Awareness About Female Genital Mutilation In The Society?
Since it is a deep-rooted and an age-old practice, the awareness needs a coordinated, and systematic effort and planning before it can make its mark in the minds of societies practicing it as well as the general public. But, to start with, here are some ways you can take up to create awareness at your level.
- Initiate a dialogue:Talk about Female Genital Mutilation amongst your friends and community. Spread the word about it on social media platforms.
- Share videos of victims:Some of the victims have shown courage and come forward to reveal their story. Share their story on your blog, social media profiles and spread awareness.
- Watch out for signs that are out of ordinary:If you see a girl or a woman showing signs of difficulty in sitting, walking or standing then you should gently coax her to tell you what happened and take required actions immediately by spreading the word on social media but keeping the identity anonymous.
- Address sexual and reproductive health of a woman:While talking about Female Genital Mutilation, one should also talk about the repercussions of FGM on a woman’s sexual and reproductive health so that the societies practicing it becomes aware that they are putting their unborn children at risk.
Did you find the blog on Female Genital Mutilation resourceful? Do you know someone who has gone through this or may have to go through FMG? Do you have any more ideas through which we can create awareness in the society? Please share your thoughts and views in the comments section below, as we would love to hear from you.
| Feb 06, 2018
a very resourceful blog.. yes, if the renowned persons or clergymen/women who carry some position in the community ,are guided and they spread the word how mutilation of female genitalia can cause adverse effects on health of women,it would have a great Impact.