Created by Nikita Updated on Oct 28, 2013
Sooji Kheer is a perfect and easy to make sweet dish recipe that you can serve your family in this festive season. It is a simple sweet recipe that comes together with minimal ingredients but does involve constant stirring to avoid lumps and achieve a smooth finish. Just ensure you roast sooji to a nice pink shade, bring it to room temperature before cooking it in milk.
Sooji Kheer Recipe
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 35 min
Main Ingredients: sooji, milk
Milk - 3/4 lt
Water - 1/4 lt
Sooji - 5 tbsps
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Cashew nuts - few
Raisins - fistful (optional)
1. Heat a tbsp of ghee in a pan. Add the cashew nuts and roast till light golden. Remove the cashew nuts and keep aside. If using raisins, add the raisins and roast till they swell. Remove the raisins and keep aside.
2. In the same ghee, add the sooji and roast till pink, approx 8-10 minutes, on low to medium flame. Remove from heat and allow to cool a bit.
3. Bring the milk along with water to a boil. Reduce flame and add the roasted sooji slowly, stirring continuously. The milk will begin to thicken. Keep stirring and allow the sooji to cook through completely.
4. Add the sugar and cook till the sugar dissolves completely. Add the cardamom powder and mix.
5. Remove sooji to a serving bowl and garnish with roasted cashew nuts or raisins.