Top 10 Halloween costumes for your child!
Created by Misha Bansal Updated on Oct 27, 2017
There was a time when Halloween in India was confined to tempting references in Nancy Drew books or in the much anticipated “Family English Movie nights” on the cable TV on Fridays, right? The sheer novelty of the whole concept of dressing up and making the rounds of your neighborhood crying “Trick or Treat!” made it absolutely fascinating to young impressionable minds. Halloween has all the trappings of a child's favorite fantasy – there are costumes, there’s the thrill, and a load of goodies to collect – what’s not to love? Do you remember wondering why Halloween was not celebrated in India, and yearning for it? Fast forward to today, and voila! We do!
What Is The Origin Of Halloween?
Halloween, shortened from All Hallows’ Evening, is believed to originate from the Celtic festival of Samhain. During this festival, the Celts smeared black on their faces and dressed up in strange, scary clothes to scare away evil spirits they believed wandered around the world.
This tradition trickled into Christianity, too, and was called ‘souling’, where children went around asking for soul cakes in exchange for praying for the souls of their friends and family. So there you go – that’s where your modern day trick-or-treating probably comes from!
How Is Halloween Celebrated Today?
Some might argue that Halloween is an “imported” occasion and that it has no cultural significance in the Indian context. But in a free, secular country like ours, why not celebrate what we want to, in the right spirit? After all, an extra bit of fun never hurt anyone, did it?
Top 10 Halloween Costumes For Your Child
Halloween comes with the tradition of ‘pumpkin-carving’ which was said to prevent any spirits from settling down in houses. Children dress up in imaginative costumes and go trick-or-treating in the neighborhood for their candy fix!
Coming down to brass tacks, Halloween costumes have come a long way from the ones we watched on TV sitcoms in the ‘90s – be it in India or the rest of the world. A simple pointy witch hat with a broom or fake Dracula fangs with a black overcoat simply does not suffice now. Today’s children need it a notch higher, and it’s interesting how every year we see new favorites. Here are our top picks for trending Halloween costumes.
- Minions: The uber cute one-eyed creatures from the 'Despicable Me' series are unarguably a close second. The children love them, and it’s also not very hard work for parents to dress them as these characters - all you need are goofy goggles and a pair of denim dungarees.
- Avengers Superheroes: Between Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, the Black Widow and the likes, children as well as parents are spoilt for choice. Yes, the costumes are slightly more elaborate. but then, what are all the party shops for?
- Star Wars: This is probably one where even parents would have a feeling of déjà vu. Even the young generation is hooked to the Star Wars Trilogy– and from what we hear, the iconic dialog “May the Force be with you” has once again captured imaginations and many are looking forward to dressing up as their favorite Star Wars character.
- Dracula: Good old Count Dracula with his bloodied fangs still holds sway, and with his flowing cape and dark eyes, this costume probably never goes out of style.
- Twilight: Vampire mania continues here too, and while it’s primarily the tweens that we’re talking about here, Edward and his ilk have maintained their popularity over the years.
- Harry Potter:Who doesn’t find the magical Hogwarts and everything associated with it super attractive? With a little imagination, a character from the Potter world would be quite easy and fun to dress up as!
- Superheroes and pirates: Superheroes never go out of fashion, especially Batman. Batman and Spiderman costumes are available at almost every party shop you’ll come across. It just goes to show that you can’t really go wrong if you choose one of them.
- Transformers: Who doesn’t like robots, right? And if those robots are as magically powered as the transformers, even better! So go all out and dress your children up as one the cool robots, and you’ll win accolades yourself as a cool parent!
- Jurassic Park:Keep the option open! Your child might just want to be a “dinosaur” this Halloween. Just think of all the little dinosaurs walking around!
So this Halloween, go all out and create some fun memories with your child. Whether Indian or Western, isn’t that what festivals are all about? Family, friends, love, celebration and good times! Happy Halloween!
What Halloween costume is your child going to be wearing this year? Let us know in the comments section!
| Oct 29, 2017
| Oct 28, 2017
wonderful, much needed ideas.. quite sure kids would love these suggestions. thank u so much for this blog .
| Oct 27, 2017
wow.. Harika.. Halloween-ish comment, i must say..
| Oct 27, 2017