How To Use Honey To Treat Cough & Cold In Your Child
Created by Neha Gupta Mittal Updated on Sep 01, 2018
Honey – The Miracle Ingredient!
With the rapid changes in weather, cough and cold in children becomes a perennial problem. Syrups, antibiotics, nebulization and tablets become a part of the daily routine. Despite all of it, the child never seems to be completely free from it. While you do the mandatory doctor visits and medicine course, some in house remedies will only contribute to betterment in the health of the child. While we all have our own family traditions on how colds are treated at home, honey is one of the most common ingredients used. Read on to find out how you can use honey to treat your child’s cold and cough.
Ways To Use Honey For Treating Cough And Cold In Your Child
Remember that glass of ‘haldi doodh’ with honey that your mother promptly handed you when your throat started feeling hoarse? Here are some ways in which you can use honey to help your child find relief from a cold and cough:
However, do select your honey with care; there are many tips on the same which you can learn from the web.
The article is based on self- experience and some secondary research. Do add to its worth by sharing your ideas on the same in the comments section.
A teaspoon of undiluted honey:A spoonful of honey all around the year does no harm. It supplies the essential vitamins and minerals and the child loves to take it because it is sweeter than sugar
Ginger honey juice:You can add some ginger juice to honey, prepare a total one teaspoonful and give it to your child. It controls cough and also reduces the irritation that is caused. However, be very careful with the quantity of the ginger juice as it will make it spicy, 2-3 drops of the same are enough (you can grate a 1-inch piece and squeeze the juice)
A herbal cough syrup:You can also prepare a medicated juice by combining 1 piece of clove, some crushed ginger, I piece of cardamom, I small piece of cinnamon stick, 5-6 tulsi leaves
- Take a small glass of water, crush all the above ingredients, and let it boil till the quantity of water reduces to half
- Strain it, let it cool, add 1 full teaspoon of honey and give it to your child at night
- With a severe cough, you can also give it at noon because generally cough aggravates while sleeping. Remember to add the honey only once the liquid is off the burner
Honey with tea or lemon juice:For older children, you can also prepare tea (without milk), or warm lemon water and add honey to it
- It soothes a sore throat and provides relief. Honey is a natural cough suppressant and a soothing agent
- A time honored remedy, honey helps in releasing the mucus stuck in the throat
- It helps the child sleep better and is a rich source of multivitamins. It strengthens the immune system as well