World Elder Abuse Awareness Day
Created by Cheena M Gujral Updated on Jun 15, 2018
Where we talk about the active youth power in India paving way of progress, we cannot ignore the increasing number of elderly people too, between 2015 to 2030. With the raising ratio of old age, it makes them prone to different abuses and exploitations. This victimisation of elderly people is gaining a shape of global social issue which need higher attention. That's why United Nations has marked 15th june as World Elderly Abuse Awareness Day( WEAAD).
Latest researches show that old age women and men are badly treated in public and houses in India. The survey explains the following state wise percentage of abuse which is faced by seniors.
- Bhubaneswar : 92%
- Guwahati: 85%
- Lucknow : 78%
- Bengaluru: 70%
Thus Indian metropolis are topping the chart indicating immediate focus towards this problem.
Types of Elderly abuses.
- Financial Abuse: When the elders are deprived of financial support, theft and forgery are done to them,misuse of power of attorney and property are the most common exploitations under financial offenses.
- Social abuse: This is an usual abuse victimized on elders when they are isolated from the mainstream society. They are treated as unwanted. Expelling from house, misbehave in public and confining to home is normally witnessed with aged people.
- Physical abuse: Old age people in malls, public transport, markets and in beggary are ill treated. They are thrashed and snatched by powerful community.
- Emotional and Mental abuse: An sight of rude talk by watchmen, bad behaviour in public transport, wreckless treatment on roads are emotional misconduct with elders.
Why these abuses happen?
Undoubtedly it is the lack of humanity and lost ethics that this kind of shameful behaviour is done to our parents and elders. Adding to it many other factors like:
- Lack of support system
- Inappropriate social system
- Inability to fight make elders an easy victim to abuse. They are considered fragile and abused by the hands of crooked.
Why such abuse cases are unreported or ignored?
The elders are physically, financially and emotionally very weak to retaliate. At times shame, embarrassment and fear renders them unattended. Even the inappropriate judicial and criminal systems are reasons of not reporting such social stigmas.
Effects of abuse on elders.
The age of wrinkles and low eyesight is not meant for the tortures they are facing these days. Such acts of misdeed leave them disheartened. They feel lack of any support leading to mental stress, tension, poverty, compromised health and even in worst cases, a premature mortality. They are deprived of living arrangements and lose their integrity.
Government Help on this.
Many international programmes like 2030 sustainable Development Agenda and Madrid International Plans have been initiated. Older people have the right to dignity in their age and that shall be provided to them. Government shall
- Promote research to identify and cure this social distress.
- Better justice and legislation reforms to work quickly.
- Empowering plans for old age men and women.
- Government aids and remittances for victims.
How can we celebrate WEAAD this year?
Charity begins at home. So this world awareness day , we shall start with selves. Give desired recognition to the elders in our vicinity. Extend love in neighbourhood and old age institutions.
- Encourage various kids activities like grandparents day, painting and theme based competition on elder abuse.
- Youth shall unite to spread awareness and care for the old people.
- Help the elders in simple ways while crossing roads, in transportation in markets or the unprivileged sitting next door.
- Advertise and educate all to help the elders. Motivate mall staff, public officers and civilians to be empathetic towards old age residents.
- Offering better medical facilities to elders. Visiting old age homes and spreading affection.
- Emotional counselling to both victims and perpetrator can help in changing thoughts and soothing pain.
Let's truly celebrate this day by transfusing awareness and affection. It is nature's cycle, we shall respect and accept them.