Why Do We Celebrate World Health Day?
Created by Urvashi Shah Updated on Apr 07, 2018
The World Health Day is a global health awareness day celebrated every year on 7 April, under the sponsorship of the World Health Organization (WHO), as well as other related organisations. The first World Health Assembly was held in 1948, with effect from 1950 as World Health Day. This day is held to mark WHO's founding, and is seen as an opportunity to draw worldwide attention to a subject of major importance to global health each year. The WHO is known to organize international, regional and local events on the Day related to a particular theme. World Health Day 2018 will be celebrated on 7th April on a global scale under the leadership of World Health Organization.
World Health Day CelebrationsSince this day is chosen to focus on health related issues, it will be celebrated on a global scale by the Government, non-government, NGO’s, including various health organizations at various places by arranging programmes related to public health issues and awareness. Health authorities from different country take part in the celebration with their pledges in order to support on the health issues worldwide. Debates on the related topics, art exhibitions, essay writing, competitions and award ceremony are also the focus of World Health Day.
Significance Of Celebrating World Health DayWorld Health Day celebrations targets on increasing the life expectancy by adding good health to the lives of people and promoting healthier habits. Youths are targeted on a large scale to make them aware about various health issues. Disease spreading vectors like mosquitoes (malaria, dengue fever, filaria, chikungunya, yellow fever and etc), ticks, bugs, sand flies, snails and etc are also spotlighted by the WHO to make the world free from a wide range of diseases caused by parasites and pathogens. It also provides prevention and cure from vector-borne diseases. Below are the objectives of celebrating World Health Day-
- To raise public awareness of various causes and prevention of high blood pressure
- To provide detailed knowledge of getting prevented from various diseases and their complications
- To encourage vulnerable people to frequently get their blood pressure checked and follow medications as and when needed
- To promote self care among the masses
- To encourage world health authorities to make their own efforts in creating healthy environments
- To protect families living in areas vulnerable to diseases
- To teach travellers and send them a message about how to get protected from vector-borne diseases whilst travelling
To raise health awareness, you need to start from your family first. There are various World Health Day activities that you can follow, which will include your entire family. So bring your little ones on board and start the below mentioned regime right away-
- Get your family moving: You need to aim for at least 30 minutes a day to get your family moving by involving in some sort of physical activity. Walk around the block, race with each other, enjoying skipping the ropes and so on. The aim is to enjoy these activities every day that will not only get your family in a good shape but will also bring a lot of fun
- Create a weekly menu: Every week you can create a healthy menu, which will last an entire week. Aim for at least 5 to 6 days of healthy eating and you can have a cheat day where your family can indulge in their favourite dishes. You can look out for various healthy recipes on the internet, which will enable you to get more creative and selective as well
- Dance your hearts out: Your children will surely love this wonderful exercise and it will bring them more joy when the elders join them. Put on some music and get your feet dancing to the tunes of it. This will not only freshen you up but also bring waves of joy
- Go nature walking: Every weekend you can plan go head for a nature walk with your little ones in board. Be it a park, a garden or a visit to a national park, keep yourself healthy amidst nature
- Play: You don’t always need to stretch in order to remain fit. You can indulge in playing with your children, which will also keep you healthy. Pick up a sport for each weekend and have fun with the same. From cricket to badminton to football to volleyball, have fun being a child once again
I hope these ideas will inspire your family to get moving. These unique activities will help you take an advantage of the World Health Day celebrations, which can become a family tradition for every year.
Did you like the blog? Did you find it useful? Please share your thoughts with us in the comments below; we’d love to hear from you!