all

Yamini

Updated on Oct 07, 2014

Hi All. My son is 3years old and is good at his age. My concern is he doesnot sit and write anything. i see the other children of his age write capital letters. I dont want to compare my child, but please help me in how to make him sit and learn for some time. is that a good idea to send kid to preschool? 

• 7

Carol thumbs up! awesome proparent spirit to help Yamini with some useful inputs.

Yamini

Thanks shipra for clarifying. Carol thanks a ton. I shall do that from this morning.

Shilpa

Hi Yamini, it is about teaching the child to focus and concentrate on an activity. When watering plants, he will be required to ensure all plants are watered, not too much, not too little, there is minimum spillage and he will have to listen to you tell him ho to do it. This will bring a change in his behaviour wherein he will need to focus and do a job properly. Eventually, it is this part of his behaviour that will come handy in teaching him to sit, write, read, do other activities. As parents, we need to build correct behaviours, rather than just focus on one activity. Hope this clarifies your doubt.

Yamini

Thanks all for your suggestions. please let me know how watering plant helps in sitting and doing things. My son is ok in all the help i require in kitchen, groceries. He helps me in mint, greens chopping. He shall even arrange the utensils once they are dried. But only when it comes to write something, he doesnot want that. I tried with slate, boards white and black , paper. No way he is interested in writing. I dont expect him to write everything by this age, but want him to learn how to sit and write. Playschool i need to try.

Hi Yamini, It is natural for children of this age to be restless and explore their surroundings. Let him do so, but also it is equally impprtant that they learn the art of sitting, concentrating and doing something in a focussed manner. This attitude will help him later. For this you can start with some fun craft activities, such as making something out of paper strips, some colouring, help out in the kitchen (give him some cold, boiled potatoes to peel) sit and listen to a story, browse through pictures in magazines with you etc. I know, as a busy mom, it is difficult to do this, so just spend 10-15 mins, twice a day with him on this. Also, like i said, have him around you doing something in the kitchen while you cook, or looking through a magazine while you do your chores. Keep talking to him, asking him questions. But also be prepared for some mess so have patience.

Top Education and Learning Blogs