Baby Walkers?

Updated on Jun 14, 2013

Dear Fellow Parents,   My son is 4 days short of turning 16 months old. We are still waiting for him to take his first steps! He holds furniture and cruises but is not confident to hold our hands and walk. Over the last few weeks, I feel he has regressed in this aspect. I say this because he used to enjoy walking while my husband or I held his hands. He would even try to run. However, this has suddenly stopped and he cries if we encourage him to walk that way and is very happy if we let him sit and scoot around.   Of late I have been thinking about walkers or other toys which asist a baby in walking. Does any parent recommend walkers? Has anybody's child's benefitted from walkers or is a late walker- later than 15 or 16 months of age? I am not worried, but would like him to start walking as it would make things easier for me. I have to carry him around for short trips, like picking my daughter from school and even around the house. He is getting heavy and my arms and shoulders are feeling the strain. Any recommendation would be helpful.

• 10

Hey Indu, thank you for your suggestion. Yes, each child is different. My daughter was a late walker too, but she took her first steps at 14 months and we are still waiting for my son to walk ;) I hope you have videos of your daughter walking on her knees :) It must have been so cute!

Indu

Hey Anurima, I have logged in after so long on parentune and just saw ur post :) Anurima, I never used walker for either of my kids as I have researched about it and seen that it is not very safe for the kids. It make kids more prone to injuries, so I would suggest not to go for walkers, as in few instances child may not be able to balance himself in it... My daughter started walking very late as she was comfortable her walking with her knees folded :) and my son started walking just after he completed 9 months of his age ... and we were so much surprised, he never ever used his knees or crawled... so it differs from kid to kid when they feel comfortable and confidence to start walk ... Don't u worry ...ur son must also be waiting to get his walking freedom :)

Dear Priti. I am so relieved to read your post! I have not heard of children not walking at 16 months, most walk by 14-15 months. I guess we will just wait it out now :)

Priti Sandwar

yes Anurima, my son started walking when he completed 18months + 10days .. on 11th Day he started taking few steps independently .. so all kids are different though he talks a lot...

Thank you for all your comforting comments. I have borrowed a walker from a friend but my son does not like it. So I guess it will go back to my friend :) I have read that walkers do not strengthen the child's muscles making him/her take longer to walk. On the other hand I have heard parents say that their children have walked sooner with the help of walkers. I have been totally confused! It is true, log toh kahenge. I am constantly asked by other family members as to why he is not walking independently yet and am told to do so many things to encourage him to walk. Like I said I am not worried, but the pressure from others makes me think. You all are so right, my son is not ready to walk and will walk once he is confident. I am waiting for that day and hope it happens sooner than I think :)