bad habit

Anamika Chauhan

Dear Parents,   My son is 5 and half months old and has acquire a bad habit of sucking his hand thumb. please advise how to get rid of his this habit.....

• 8

Anamika Chauhan

dear neetu, arunima nd payal, thanx for d useful & kind comments.

Thumb sucking per se is not too much of a problem. But just as they start teething, you might want to reduce the frequency and by the age of 4, stop the thumb sucking altogether.

Hi Anamika. As your son grows, he will put all sorts of things into his mouth. It is a natural thing to do and as Neetu mentioned, it is all a part of exploring and discovering parts of the body and other objects too. Trying to keep things clean and hygienic as much as possible, is all we can do, I'm afraid. He will certainly grow out of it :)

Hey Anamika, ny child also did this for a while, the doc said they discover that they have feet around this time and its all part of exploring things. He will grow out of it soon, all you need to make sure that his toes are clean :)

Anamika Chauhan

thnx nitin, neena nd Aashna.... would also lyk to add that sinceyesterday evening he has started sucking his right leg thumb.... hope this is also a natural activity nd i need not worry about it...

Aashna

Hi Anamika, you may find some useful suggestions in the link given by Nitin. May I also add that the act of sucking is something which comes naturally to a baby and that too, soon after birth. Babies find comfort and as Neena has said, it is a way to soothe themselves. The natural urge to suck reduces after the age of 5 months. You may try to introduce your baby to a pacifier if you are not very happy with him sucking on his thumb. Weaning a baby off a pacifier is easier than the thumb. If this helps- both my children loved their pacifiers but gave it up as soon as they started teething. They were around 7 months and 5 months respectively.

Neena

Hi Anamika, it is just your baby's way to soothe themselves in a situation they dont like. Please do read the parent talk Nitin just shared and if you still have concerns, we are all here.. tc

Hi Anamika! Please check this link out, a similar earlier talk. hope this is helpful. Please CP (copy paste) this url. https://www.parentune.com/parent-talk/thumb-sucking/243

ear problem 7 months old baby

my baby is 7 months old . she is crying and getting irritated and touching her e..

baby diaper

hi my son is 8 month old. pls suggest some remedy for diaper rash. also I have t..

mosquitoes repellent

pls can anyone suggest gud brand of mosquitoes repellent for 9th month baby

baby hair growth

6 month old baby having very less hair... very slow hair growth and from the bir..