Change in my son after birth of my daughter

Mona Sharma

My daughter is 7 months old and my son is 5 year old. My son is behaviour so much changed after her birth which irritate and make me worry. he loves her but whatever I give her to play he takes it back. and when don't let her touch any stuff whether it is his personal or not .sometime intentionally does the things which makes me angry. Please suggest me how should I deal with him

• 3
Mona Sharma

Thanks for your helpful advice

Hi Mona! How r u! It's a challenging phase for u to make elder one adjust with a new member in the family. It is quite okay for a child to feel jealous of a sibling. His territory is being occupied by a strange person whom everyone calls his sister. He will need time to develop a bond with his sibling. Please make sure u maintain your cool while dealing with your elder one. He might sometimes misbehave just to catch your attention. Complete most of your work when elder one is in school and lil one is sleeping so that u can give attention to your son. GIVE responsibility of Lil one to other family members while u take care of elder one. Also involve him in chores of Lil one like passing things or taking care of her while u r busy with other chores in your presence. Narrate bedtime stories to both. Tell him to narrate a story to her. Or show his toys to her and let them play together. Let him touch her belongings .Praise both,avoid comparison. Take lots of their pictures together and display on the wall. Also take out some time for yourself Mona !Happy Parenting ! hope this helps!

Tejal Singh

hi mona, this happens when elder one feel they are not given that much importance that they got earlier. I will suggest involve your boy in taking care of baby girl. try to build a strong communication between both of them, sometime just involve him with your work also (small household chorses). Read books for both of them, play games involving both, make him feel that he should also care, give him her responsibility (keep watch also), teach him the concept of sharing, sometime let him give toys by his hand to his sister, also don't get angry, don't shout, make him feel that you love him equally. hope this helps.