Child Psychiatrist

Meenakshi

Hi, my son is 3 years old and recently started his formal school. He has stopped eating anything in morning before going to school and also does not touch in lunch in school. He is getting weaker day by day. He refuses to eat at all in school and says that he feels nauseated and cannot eat. He even vomited once or twice in his school and has completely stopped eating after that. I live in Noida and I am a working mother.  Can anyone suggest a good child Psychiatrist/counsellor I can take him to for help.   Thanks Meenakshi

• 9
Meenakshi

Thanks everyone for your advise. Just to give you all little more insight... My son has been going to Play school for 1 year before he started this formal school this April, and there he ate fine, but his meals were provided by his school. However, now in formal school he is not very comfortable. He cries every morning to avoid school, he sits alone in class, his teacher mentioned that to me in one of the PTM. When he is at home, he is very active and plays and laughs and eats and sleep well. Its just the school part which depresses him. Its been almost been one and half month that he has been going to school now, but he still doesnt look happy while going to school and this worries me alot. I do not like forcing school on him, but then again I cant make him sit at home as well.

Meenakshi, sometimes a child may act strangely in a new situation. As Dr Ann has suggested, look for other signs. He may be uncomfortable in the school or not ready for school yet. If he is otherwise happy in school then you can worry about the food.

I agree with Ann! U need to talk about accompanying changes if any such as is d child active, how is he managing without food n is he also not having food after coming home, is he complaining of stomachache or any other medical problem. if yes, it could be due to stomach infection or any other medical reason which you need to cater to first. Stomach infection is quite a possibility as children play in sandpit n do not wash their hands and usually some kids r in d habit of putting their dirty hands in mouth. My daughter is very prone to this infection.

Dear Meenakshi.. Dont yet look for a psychiatrist. As friends above have suggested.. try changing what you give him for lunch.. try giving him munchies - finger foods that he usually likes... indulge him some initially.. give him juice tetra pack and things like that.. let him choose at the shop. and dont worry this is a phase.. wont last long so long as you are relaxed.. also soon vacations are starting, which will provide a break from the issue and you could use the time to ease his anxieties..

gaurima

Dear Meenakshi ... I completely agree with Shikha that our children picks our nerves .. so please be very calm and happy with him. Be very loving so that he opens up with you about his time in school, his likes and dislikes, friends and may be the topic of him not having food might naturally surface. Moreover, engage him in deciding the Menu for his tiffin. He might like to take Juice, Tang or Nimbu pani in a separate bottle. Give him a lot of options to choose from and must reward him for taking every positive step in this direction. don't worry you will find a way :)

Top Child Psychology and Behaviour Blogs