Child psychiatrist

Avi

Hi, I have a 2. 5 years old son and he goes to a play school. my problem is that my son is hyper active. He just can not sit calm for a minute. i don't know how to channelise his energy. even after coming back from school, he is fully charged up.. even at night he sleeps after I am off to sleep. He is so restless that sometimes I get frustrated of his behaviour. when I try to make him study the alphabets or rhymes.. Even then he is not able to concentrate more than 10 minutes. sometimes I even take him to the park in the evening or make him dance di that he gets tired and sleeps early but I never got to see any results. I have also tried giving him toys that develops his concentration power but he loses interest easily in that too. Please suggest me how to make him concentrate in things he do.

• 8

Thanks Ann. I was told by a child psychiatrist that my child cannot be diagnosed because she was just 5 years old and cannot be called hyperactive. She told me that since a certain level of hyper activity is seen in all children below the age of 7, she cannot give any verdict. Thanks for setting it straight. Maybe I will also take a second opinion now.

Shikha, just a small addendum, in case there was something you misunderstood. I was not talking about a child being "labelled" hyperactive by any parent. I was stating a fact that no doctor would call a child hyperactive till the age of 7 since hyperactivity is a natural phenomenon in children below that... and I was talking about a personal experience where I had taken my daughter to a doctor. The second point, Im sure was not addressed to me, since I have not talked about pencil-paper study anywhere. At that age usually picture books, flash cards, as you said colourful toys like blocks, etc, can be used to introduce a child to alphabets and numbers.

Avi

Thank you all for your suggestions.. All these points would give a lot of help...

Dear Payal, d child being talked about is just 2. 5 years old. We r definitely not trying to put labels such as " hyperactive". It's just Mother's way of telling tht child doesn't sit at a place for more than a minute. Secondly u can't make a 2. 5 yrs old study thru pen pencil n paper. It's more d age for play n fun. So activities which he finds interesting or d age appropriate ones should be carried out. Plus if d mother wants she can begin with alphabet n number recognition but tht too by using play way method again by using blocks, showing pics etc. even a not so active child would not sit at one place for half an hr. channel using his energies in right direction is wat s required.

Avi, apart from what the other mums have suggested,a few more pointers- 1. why dont you try VExcel or any trusted child counselling center, a center where they show hyper active children the best way to learn. They will evaluate your child and a child psychiatrist will tell you the best methods for teaching him. 2. No one will call a child hyper active till s/he reaches 7 years of age. This is my personal experience when I took my 5 year old daughter. Any child below 7 years is prone to be more or less hyper active, especially with the kind of stimuli they get from media etc nowadays. 3. Dont worry about teaching him. Teach him at 10 minute gaps. Let him sit for 10-15 mins and then ask him to do some other activity for 15 mins, with the assurance that he will return to you to study for another 15 mins. Slowly increase this time, a few minutes at a time. Soon he will be sitting for half an hour. Dont have high expectations. No child sits for an hour at a time to study :). 4. Bedtime- Have you tried some bedtime relaxing routines for your son. Wash him with a good soap and warm water, give him a massage with any mild cream. Dim the lights an hour prior to his intended bed time, tell him a couple of stories and ask him to cuddle. Sing him a lullaby. This might calm him down enough to make him sleep at the time you would want him to. Dont put on tv before bedtime. You can read good picture books together. This would become a habit soon and your stress will go down.