Dealing With a Sensitive Child

Deepthi

Updated on Jun 12, 2013

Dear All,     My first born is 8 year old boy. I have another son who is 3. 5 yrs. My elder son has been a very sensitive child right from the beginning. When he was admitted to pre-school, it took almost 1. 5 yrs for him to get adjusted to the school environs. He was'nt ready to mingle with other children and always preferred to remain aloof. The teachers used to complain about his carelessness, not being attentive in the class etc. I had to quit my job and take a lot of care. He finally managed to stand among the top five students in his class. He is a very bright child and has knowledge in various subjects. He is also very inquisitive and loves to read. However, when it comes to playing with other kids, he easily gets offended when the other boys fight with him or admonish him. Like today, he was playing cricket with the neighbourhood kids and because he did not play wee, some kids asked him not to play. He came home way too grumpy and was weeping silly. I sent him back telling him that its a part of the game and if he has to gel, he should learn to play well. This is a regular scenario. I get fed up dealing with him at times. What is the best way to deal with such children?Should I take help of professional counsellor?Because with this attitude of his, it wil be impossible for him to adjust to the outside world, where he always cannot have his say. As a mother, it has been my long standing concern. Please suggest ways to deal with him. One more thing, because of this nature of his, I decided to have a second child because I strongly felt that his having a sibling would bring about a change in his behavior. However, I feel it has'nt helped him much.

• 10
mohor nair

Just give him some time ...I don't fight his battle ....but don't ignore his complaints hear him out

Anupama Gujadhur

My first child had same issues, in fact she still has a bit. Though she's much more confident now. We made a big move when she was 6 years old( she'll be 13 now). In the last few months I noticed that she's starting to get tough, and by tough I mean using ways and means that I don't really approve of but I have learnt it from my experience that if we want our Children to go by the rules and be goodie goodie all the time it makes them weak. Good thing is she tells me everything and I try not to be upset or angry but try to understand. I know that we've to show to our Children that we will always stand by them but they have to handle these issues by themselves.

Deepthi

Thanks Shikha for the complements on my leaving my job. It was initially very tough to become a homemaker after so many years of working. But I agree with you that children will have to learn that not all will happen their way. Yes,I should start to selectively listen to what my son has to say/complain.

Deepthi

Thanks Bhavana. I have also enrolled him in Tennis lessons. That way he interacts with other kids and would hopefully learn to take things in his stride.

Deepthi

Thanks Shanaya. You are right about giving extra attention to our first born... I will try to make him grow out of it.