Fifteen month baby boy not eating textured or lumpy foods

Gina Naik

Updated on Feb 27, 2017

Hello mommies. my fifteen month old son has a good appetite but gags on any lump or textured food unless it is blended. imn slowly introducing partial textures in his blends. But I'm worried as other mums give recipes of chappatis and panxakes and finger foods while I'm still struggling to get him to eat rice. Please help

• 4
gina naik

thank you Sweta. I'm going to find comfort that my son is just being a baby at this point.

Dr Sweta Singh

Gina , I am going through the same as you. NY son is 18 month old and still don't chew his food. even he want khichdi with out any veggies else he throws out every thing. but still I am struggling daily.

gina naik

thank you for the advise. no, you're right. I'm not comparing him to other kids, i understand every child reaches his milestones at their pace, but i was worried if there was any other underlying problem that could affect his skill of tongue to move the food around to chew. he had inflamed tonsillitis some time back due to which he couldn't swallow. i feel handicapped when it comes to making meal choice as there are limited options and they involve mashing or pureeing. i give him kanji with some ghee in the morning, followed by yoghurt with fruit puree, then amashed banana, lunchtime is khichdi or cerekac with some fruit puree,mid afternoon dal rice smashed. night time rava with milk or wheat halwa. in between for snacks in giving him cheese bits. im trying to encourage him to pickup foods and eat but he's not interested

Dr Sweta Singh

Gina, dear first thing never compare your kid with other. let him grow and evolve his skill by his own. give whatever he likes ,in which form he likes. u keep on experimenting but keep the main meal like his way for lunch and dinner. In between u can give him semi solids like when u eat your meal give him from that. best is to start with soft fruits, pancakes, pasta with cheese, poha, potatoes stick. then slowly go to chappati and rice.