Hi mommies... I have a 2 year old son. Recently he has started behaving different. He wants his dad entire day and night. Anything happening against his wish he wants his dad and doesn't want me at all during that time. He's throwing a lot of tantrums. I try to calm him, divert his attention,make him understand but everything in vain. I understand that he is acting his age but in that situation I have become him enemy. This is hurting me a lot.

Updated on Jun 15, 2022

• 6

Hi

• Reply | 1 Reply

Are you a working mother neha ? Have you been away from the child for sometime or few days? Or is there any other member at home ?

• Reply | 1 Reply

Try to connect with your child. Spend quality time with him, for instance while talking to him just talk to him by making an eye contact. Play with him. Do things which he enjoys doing, dance, jump etc. Avoid using gadgets such as phone or ipad while communicating with him. Hug him often. Spend time together as a family. He will definitely develop a deeper emotional bond with you too Neha

• Reply | 1 Reply

abinayaseenu please suggest tips through which we can connect with our child.

• Reply

Neha I completely understand what you are trying to say. But for a moment please try to forget your pain , struggle and try to understand what your child is going through. See things from his point of view. For two weeks he have had the best time he could due to the presence of a fatherly figure. His happiness knew no bounds and all of a sudden that figure has gone away. So child is finding this separation difficult to deal with. try and help the child by understanding what he is going through. Give him what he wants, he wants that unlimited fun. It doesn't mean that you won't tell him to do regular things like taking bath or sleep on time and so on. But it simply means add fun element to it for instance instead of telling him -' Rohan time to take take bath' , if we say 'Are we ready to have some fun with water and have some masti time?' and then see how he responds. Having fun is the inherent preference of children and even us adults. And believe you me, you will see him coming out of that denial mode and spend some quality time with you too.

• Reply | 1 Reply

My in-laws become happy that he doesn't want me and wants only his dad. In your opinion do you think this is right ?

• Reply

Ask your queries to Doctors & Experts

Ask your queries to Doctors & Experts

Download APP

Top Child Psychology and Behaviour Blogs