How Joint families are beneficial for parenting

Indu

Being in the nuclear family, I am the one who is always keep revolving around my kids, their basic requirements, general household stuff, my husband ....... Sometimes I really think that its good to be in Joint families, atleast there is always someone to look for help, guidance and support. I have two young kids, sometimes its too tough for me to manage and not only manage, how much can to teach them values.   Those who stay in joint families may not be agree with me, but I can tell them with my experience that if you want somewhat of 'You' to be present in those early years of kids, we need support from our families.

• 7

Radhika Thombre

Hi! I am staying in a Joint family and I must say that the support I am getting raising my twin daughters is immense.. I agree with Neetu as elders have more experiance than us.

Indu

so well said Neetu....

Having lived in a joint family throughout, I faced one major difficulty - conflict in parenting. Of course, when the elderly have their own viewpoint on how to handle certain situations with kids, since they have seen it all, and us young parents wanting to raise kids in our own 'modern' way. The one thing that helped resolve this for me over the years was to convey my concerns and listen to theirs. Plus I have also experienced that when we are younger, new parents, we tend to be defensive in our approach towards the elderly's suggestions, but as we mature, with time two viewpoints can exist in harmony, only to benefit the child that much more !

I cannot agree more with you Indu. I have two young children. Recently I had taken ill and felt the importance of having other members of the family more than ever. I did not get any rest for my illness but had to continue with the day to day activities, which had completely drained me of my energy. Children love to spend time with their grand parents too. In the presence of other family members, we can concentrate on other areas not feeling guilty that the kids are not getting enough quality time with us.

Deeba

Yes ,true. A joint family does make a difference . My 2 yr old son seems to be so happy with his grandparents n cousins around him... But whn we are alone he is always wanting my attention n also b'comes crancy....

Indu

Agreed Neena, I am a full time mom of two kids and seriously its an issue to keep them updated with new mannerism as well as old beliefs.

Neena

Hi Indu, joint family does act as a support system, specially for a working mum, as in my case. the initial years with two young children can be exhausting, so having grand parents around does give parents a much needed breather at times. Plus, with our busy lifestyles, grandparents tend to teach the kids that we may not find time for. For example, my child's faith and belief in God was much acquired from his grandmum. There are definitely challenges that come along and one needs to really be patient during conflicts...

Afraid of school

My baby is 1. 10 I sent him school from 5th July. He hardly went for 5 6 days...

Right age to start playschool

Hello everyone pls tell me what's the right age for playschool Nd also how to pr..

How to start baby poty training nd toile..

When nd how to start baby poty nd toilet training my baby is 1 year 4 month old

How to stop breastfeeding

My daughter is 1 year 5 month old. So I want to stop breastfeeding she want to b..

breastfeeding

my daughter is not stop breastfeeding so wht can I do to stop???

my son is 11/2yrs old he is very naughty he doesn't eat food he likes only dates..

not eating well