How many ultrasounds advisable?

H M

Updated on Sep 05, 2016

Hi, my doctor is prescribing me ultrasounds evry two weeks to check the baby growth. I am in 6th month of my pregnancy and there are no complications till now. I wanted to know is it safe to undergo so many ultrasounds for the foetus.

• 8
Neha Marwaha

As per me the technology is soo advance that ultrasounds doesnt harm the baby.. also growth scans are necessary so that if any complication arises.. doc can immediately take action.. even i have gone through 8-9 ultrasounds till now and i hv just entered my ninth month

Seema Kharbanda

Hi dear, i dnt think so as my dr dnt do it unless they felt there is some complication. Or u are facing some issue. If all goes well there is no need to do ultra sound every week

H M

Thanks all for your valuable info!! @Seema, don't they measure growth and weight of baby after 6 months?

Seema Kharbanda

U shd consult some other gynecologist as after 6month ultra sound is just for 2 sec to check the heart beat of the baby. N if ur dr is dng detailed ultra sound its not safe for baby. Only 1-2 ultra sound is done after 6th month till the time of delivery.

chandni arora

If everything is normal then there is no need to do ultrasound after every 2 week. plz consult to your gynae that how many ultrasound require in each trimester.

Sudeshna Ghosh

take opinion from another doctor as well. as too much ultrasound is not good. there should be max of total 6 ultrasound in entire pregnancy , if uts normal

Parul Ankit Gupta

consult wid ur gynee n try to avoid ultrasounds as much as u can

preeti

Hi HM, too many ultrasound is not advised.