How to tackle a pre teen-2

Nivedita

Hi folks, Here I am again on how to tackle a pre teen. My lovely daughter Abha, all of 9. 8 is becoming very aggressive at home. One thing against her wishes and she is yelling. On the other hand she is very shy outdoors... doesnt talk much, doesnt smile much. She even hesitates to talk to the shopkeeper if we go to buy something... How can I make her a little calm in the house and a little extrovert outside?

• 9

Hi Nivedita! What u discussed is quite a common behavior, typical of a shy child. The child gets conscious while talking to strangers and is not comfortable sharing her thoughts. The possible reason for doing so is: a. Fear of unknown people b. Uncertainty of their response/ reaction c. lack of clarity of thoughts. In order to tackle this situation, it is advisable to take following steps: 1. Give her ample opportunities to mingle with people. say for ex going to park, market, hobby classes etc. 2. U could accompany her and interact with people and introduce her by her name. talk about her. Praise her, for her strengths and her interests. 3. After listening to that people would start praising her too. This will give a boost to her self confidence. 4. display her talent at home. Say her drawings on the wall, cards Or any crafts. Show the guests/visitors she made it. If she has received any prizes/ trophies/ certificates etc display those or put pics on the wall. Discuss about it with people/ relatives/friends who visit yr home. Motivate her to talk about it. these are some of the ways u can work on her weakness through her strengths. Since her success would be one topic which would give her happiness,she won't mind discussing it. And would gradually start feeling confident in public speaking. 5. Give her the chance to place order for herself in restaurants. 6. Motivate her to tell shopkeeper what she wants. If she doesn't want to, intentionally tell him to bring things which she doesn't want to buy. She would on her own speak up. As far as her raised tempers are concerned, it is because of the fact she remains tightlipped when she is out,keeping her feelings to herself. It is only at home she gets the freedom to share her thoughts. So she expresses her frustration of not being able to do well publicly by yelling etc. at the drop of a hat. Please bear with her. Appreciate her often. And help her open up. Hope this helps!

Nivedita

I spoke to my daughter. She said she is not scared but that is the way it is. I mean she has seen me doing the talking and interacting with people while she is just a bystander. I guess its more of a confidence issue, probably. I think its about time I took a back seat and let her interact a little. But I have to push her into doing so as she is a little hesitant..

Nivedita

Thanks friends. Wl dftly talk to her...

I agree with Anjali and Meenu you may follow this and it would be of great help to you :)

Aastha

Nivedita, Take her out to the park or to social gatherings let her make some friends and this may help her being extrovert.