How to teach a 1 and a half boy to drink milk independently?

Shivani Kulkarni

Updated on Feb 22, 2013

My son is now almost 1 and a half. He is used to drink milk from bottle from a very early age. Earlier we used to take him on the lap and then give him the bottle (in lying position). Now-a-days, he can lie himself (on a bed/ sofa) and catch hold of the bottle and drink, but I want him to be drinking from a mug/ sipper/ glass. Any ideas how to encourage him on this?   Currently when he drinks water from a glass/ sipper he spills almost all of it.   Please help with your valuable inputs.   :)

• 8
Shivani Kulkarni

ok will try Avent sippers!

Shreya

Sippers from Avent company r really excellent... they dont drip at all... cost around 350,but worth it!!!

Shivani Kulkarni

thanks Anurima, will catch hold of required sipper/s... hope that works ! :)

The link to the product at the review section is here https://www.parentune.com/reviews/nuby-grip-n-sip/509

Hey Shivani, I repeat what Neetu has said. Get him a sipper with handles. You could try Nuby sippers. They do not drip or leak. So if your son holds it upside down with milk inside , it will not spill out :) You could see this link at the review section. I had used this sippy cup for both my kids. The things you need to watch out for are 1. make sure the sipper is closed properly before handing it to your baby as sometimes the liquid flows out if the cover is not locked in place, and 2. Do check the teat from time to time and discard if it shows signs of a tear or you notice the liquid dripping out on its own.

hey try babyoye or firstcry. I guess your baby should be able to use a straw sipper now..

Shivani Kulkarni

Thanks Neetu... do you have any suggestions to grab them online thru any site?

Hey Shivani, here's what I remember doing, I got my boy a sipper or two of his choice.. and half the job was done. Just ensure to invest in a good quality sipper for your little boy's safety.