Is there any benefit of breastfeed after 2 years of age of baby

Arika Tiwari

Updated on Jun 03, 2017

Breastfeed after 2 years has any beneficial effect on baby?

• 4
Arika Tiwari

Thanks everyone. My baby still have bf to sleep. She does not have breast milk any other time but she can't sleep if I don't feed her. She will cry for hrs in night until I surrender.

hi Arika Tiwari! I see disadvantages of prolonged breastfeeding more than advantages. it can cause sore nipples ,mastitis; , it can affect mother's menstrual cycle and make it irregular and cause infertility till the time she is feeding and even beyond in some cases . besides this mother will not have a personal life of her own as she will have to be present around till the time baby is awake. also it leads to tooth decay in children who are fed beyond two years. please consider both pros and cons before u take your decision. tkcare!

Debashree Bhattacharya

Hello Arika, it affects the calcium density of our bones if we nurse our baby for a prolonged time. Till 6 months it is mandatory as in that phase breastmilk is the only source of essential nutrients for the child. From 6 to 12 months breastmilk becomes the part of a diet chart of the baby which mainly consists of semi solid and liquid food. After that it is optional. But after that if our children can get their nutrition from a proper diet chart consists of rice, daal, vegetables, butter, milk, fruits and non veg items then why to nurse them after 2 yrs... PLEASE CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR FOR PROPER GUIDANCE.

puloma pandey

Hi Arika, i dont think so as doctors also suggests to stop breastfeed after 1 & 1/2 or 2 .

Top Health and Wellness Blogs