Mouth Ulcers/ Canker sores

Updated on Dec 08, 2012

Hi,   My daughter (3. 5 years old), suffers from mouth ulcers very often. She gets them 5-6 times a year, maybe even more! Most of the time, she gets one due to trauma caused to the gums when brushing her teeth. At other times, the sores just show up. I was once told that they occur due to a vitamin deficiency also. It affects her ability to eat for over a week as they usually get very big and painful. Are there any home remedies which I can use to reduce the pain and help them heal faster? Do I need to add any particular food in her diet to reduce the occurences of the sores? I have tried applying honey, but it does not help much in numbing the pain or making the ulcers go away any quicker.   Please share your thoughts on this. Thank you.

• 2

Hi Neena. I will check her tooth paste for SLS. A supplement may be a solution here if she is deficient in some essential nutrients. Thanks for your thoughts Neena :)

Neena

Hello Anurima, I used to get these often. Here is some information you may find useful. Frequent occurrence of canker sores could mean the child has a nutritional deficiency - particularly of iron, folic acid, zinc or Vitamin B12. Another cause is a weak immune system. Toothpastes containing SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate), which is a foaming agent, also cause mouth ulcers in some kids. You could check the one you use and possibly switch to one which does not contain SLS. Were you told by a doc that these are canker sores? Since your little girl gets these often, it may be a good idea to consult her pediatrician. They may prescribe a nutritional supplement if needed and also rule out any other possible cause such as an infection or allergy to particular foods. Hope this helps!

Top Food and Nutrition Blogs