My 14 years old daughter doesn’t hold good opinion about herself. She always talks negative about her own looks and is never happy with her performance. She indulges in extreme self- criticism. How can I make her change her opinion about self? Waiting eagerly for your valuable suggestions.

• 9

Looking forward to Your valuable suggestions

• Reply

Blogs- https://www.parentune.com/parent-blog/teen-body-image-issues-heres-all-you-need-to-know/3841 please check this blog also

• Reply | 1 Reply

Anwesha I do understand and and can relate to it as well as I used to be self critical too myself as a teen.. And thanks to my mother who helped me get out of that phase when I thought myself to be a failure and my looks to be below average. She reminded me every single day that I am beautiful inside out, I have a reason to be born, and gradually without thinking about what others say about me,I should focus my energy in finding the purpose of my life. She told me to say to myself everyday standing in front of the mirror that ' I am pretty' , ' I am unique' ,' I am loved' and believe you me, my entire perception about myself began to change gradually. Today I am a successful buisness woman and a mother of two beautiful girls myself and I am thankful to my mother always for being my constant support. You can play the same role for your child. Hope this answer will be useful to you.

• Reply | 1 Reply

Anwesha Teenagers at this age are forming their self image based on what others think about them. You can adopt the following strategies to boost her self confidence : 1. please  make sure that no one at home makes fun of the child at home even unintentionally, as for them our opinion matters. 2. She can do positive  affirmations for herself at the beginning of the day by repeating - " I am enough", 'I am choosing to become stronger everyday',' I am choosing to become confident everyday'','I am enough just as I am'. 3. Let her know it's the inner beauty which matters,as outer looks are anyways temporary for everyone. 4. Remind her everyday of her strengths and help her hone her skills by getting her professional training for that. 5. hug her often and spend quality time with her. 6. motivate her to spend time doing what she enjoys .Hope this will be useful to you .

• Reply | 1 Reply

I do understand your concern. Being the mother of a teenager myself, I can relate to it. Our teens look for outer support be it their peer group, sibling, their partner for validation. As a family we should support the teen and not make fun of their physical characteristics such as height, complexion etc. Also let the child know, that we should work on those aspects which we can change for eg, our skills, our knowledge etc and not something which is it our control. for eg our looks, height etc . Help her see her strengths and through those work on her not so strong points. Please Make sure no comparisons are made between siblings,with friends or cousins etc as each child is unique and born with a different set of capabilities. Please go through the link below. You might find it useful. Blogs- https://www.parentune.com/parent-blog/is-your-teenager-unhappy-with-their-imperfect-body/5860

• Reply

Pratibha Sachin Sharma ji aap kya suggest karnege bacche ke vishey mai jiska apne aap ko lekar accha opinion nahi hai.

• Reply

Hi Anwesha first of all boost your confidence,be positive in every situation, don't compare yourself with anyone because everyone is unique and have different qualities

• Reply | 1 Reply

• Reply

Very well said Pratibha Sachin Sharma ji! 👍😊

• Reply

Top Child Psychology and Behaviour Blogs