my baby is passing greenish motion

Divya Agrawal

Updated on Nov 28, 2016

my baby is passing greenish colour motion. is it normal? or anything to worry? what could be the reason?

• 51
Jaya

how many times can 4mon baby can go for motion.. both FM and BM feeding

firstimemom

Dont worry dear. breast fed babies do tend to delay pooing. Reason being breast milk is very nutritious and gets absorbed fully so if there is no waste getting released there wont be any poo. just hv a track how many times she passes urine. If any concern get medical attention.

divya agrawal

thanks firstimemom. she is fine but hasn't passed motion since then :p. trying to give her hindmilk also. hope it will be ok now.

firstimemom

sorry divya i just saw ur post regarding foremilk n hindmilk. other moms have already explained it to u. how is your baby now?

divya agrawal

thank you everyone :)

Leela Bharani

Hi anjana Tell other than bf r u using bottle feed

Nishita Verma

thts normal till the baby is nt having cold.... smtimes due to cold baby passed green color poo. also if u have introduced any new food or formula milk the baby tend to pass poo which is of green in color

Anuja Gaikwad

my baby boy is 2. 5 months old... not passed motions since 7 days... is it normal? baby is active.

Bibha Sinha

hi ANJANA do not panic try it but do not force Ur baby . let Ur baby to take for less time . if then also doesn't then meet Ur pediac. it happened with me also my baby was not having it I waited for 2-3 feed then called pediac she suggested to feed my expressed milk with spoon . she told that if baby gets more hungry then also refuse to have feed. but my baby was active . watch Ur baby activity , if u feel any difference. meetUr pediac.

Anjana Gupta

my 4 months old son is not taking breastfeed.. please advise

Kulbhushan Mangle

If you are exclusively breastfeeding and if baby is active and is not ill and gaining weight, then you need not worry. Greenish Motion can be due to- Some Antibiotics given to baby for cold/infection; Infection when baby starts licking during mouthing period (baby try to lick everything he sees); Symptoms of growing first teeth; Sometimes some baby nutrition product like (Bal-Guti) may induce such symptoms; You may simply consult doctor and have your baby's greenish motion tested for any infection in good pathology lab. If report is normal and baby is active, no need to worry.

Anjana Gupta

My 4 months old son is not taking breastfeed and not even bottle. Please help..

divya agrawal

thanks sree vidya

Sree Vidya

Foremilk is the initial watery milk which is rich in proteins... Hindmilk is the thick milk that comes later and is rich in fats... if your exclusively breastfeeding and you find ur baby's poop green, that's because the baby is receiving more of the foremilk n the protein is the one which makes it green... this happens if you swift ur breasts quite often while feeding.. that's y doctors suggest to give milk of one breast completely n then move to the other one, even if it is leaking on the other side... if your baby is active n not loosing weight take it easy dear :)

Nithyageethasrinivas

if u eat leaves then baby goes like that only motion. donot worry PA. it is not a problem

Leela Bharani

Divi my son also doing the same. Bf babies may poop after 7days. Fm means daily thy hav to poop. Don't worry utill d stool still soft.

prajakta joshi

Hello Divya, My Granny says, it is happen when a baby's mom does not have regular routine of eating. So try to follow the timing of eating, drink at least 3 lit water in a day. Everything will be ok.

Meenakshi

Even my baby who is 3and 1/2mnths old is passing green poop n he is passing da poop once in 3 to 4 dayz .... is it ok.

divya agrawal

ya leela I am taking calcium n iron. but since long.. n green poop is only since 4 days.

Leela Bharani

Ya i agree with pratima . u might b taking multi vitamin tablet. Right?

Anjal Kapil Yadav

yeah it's completely normal. .....but for ur side of satisfaction u can ask ur ped

Pratima

it is completely normal don't worry. if the poop is black or white then please consult dr. other than that there is nothing to worry about. even if the baby is exclusive on bf , it depends on mom's diet what she had.

poorani V

my baby is 5 moths old exclusivly breastfed. was passing yellow stools till now.. suddenly is passing green poop for two weeks.. any problem?

suneetha

hi nothing to worry it's normal... when baby is suffer with cold and cough... or eating green s or hemiplegia( vatham ) green poop comes

Vanita C

my baby poop is also green. very normal apparently

Yoga Lakshmi

hi divya cool... nothing to be worry for this cause ... iron drops also make the kind of greenish poop....

Ghousia ambreen

if ur baby has cold then also it's possible l

Gayathri Rao

when my baby was on exclusive bread feeding she had this greenish poo problem. when I consulted my paediatrician he said if baby is active and not loosing the weight, then it is normal. when I started solids for her the poo became normal.. once consult with your pediatrician for confirmation.

Arul Mozhi Srinath

if ur baby is brest feed then poop will b green .. or when ur baby hvng any iron drop or green leaves food then also will greenish poop.. if ur so much worried then plz consult ur peadatric..

Indumathi Manoharan

one thing is that u shdn be stressed while feeding which can also be one of the causes for green poop. be relaxed while feeding.. also get the medical help if the condition persists more than 5 days.

swetha thakur

are u breast feeding

Ankita Somany

it could be a sign of some bacterial infection if its been happening for more than 4-5 days.. My baby had same thing and it turned out to be an infection for which doc gave him zinc drops for 15 days to free the intestines of infection... consult ur pead..

Suchita Pandey

babies do greenish poop due to multivitamins drops.

NaliniA

if digestion prblm also. if it is white and red need to meet doctor. ntg happens.

Bibha Sinha

if u r breast feeding then it may be due to fore milk , express out some milk just before feeding Ur li'll one.

Harpreet Mavi

greenish poop is mostly due to cold. If baby is suffering from cough and cold and loose morons too then meet your paediatric

Kanchan Virendra

My 5 months old baby always passing greenish motion as I am taking more green veggies.

divya agrawal

no azra. but yes I was giving other brand formula milk earlier( nan pro). now I have stopped giving formula milk.

Azra Naqvi

fore milk which is starting watery milk which comes when u feed... hind milk is white thick milk

Mahima K

it is generally because of top feed. nothing to worry about. very common...

Fatema Vilaity

hii.. what is meaning of hind milk and foremilk?

Azra Naqvi

did u gv lactogen to ur baby?

firstimemom

If your breast feeding ur baby make sure that baby get the hindmilk, too much of foremilk causes greenish poo in babies. u can chk with pedia.

komal jain

hi.... is ur baby had cough ? or in noon time u take ur baby out ?? or u ate something green. .??sometimes it was the reasn.. ur baby is too small.. breastfed her , stop giving formula milk for sone day.. i think digestion problem..

Shweta Saraf

no.... less feeding causes hard stool.

divya agrawal

is it because of less feeding? ?

Shweta Saraf

Sometimes greenish motion is due to cough or may be due to any infection. But my Ped told me greenish motion is normal if it is not loose.

divya agrawal

thanks farah..

Farah Aranha

Divya gradual change is better than total change. consult your pediatrician. I think baby is reacting to a total change in diet. pediatrician might suggest a mix of both. plus if stools r slimy and very often, it might mean that baby has an infection.

divya agrawal

hi farah.. my baby is 2. 5months. she was earlier taking formula but now only breastfeed since 4 days.. passing greenish motion since 4 days only.. is there something that is not taking enough feed??

Farah Aranha

how old is your baby. generally green motion is a sign of tummy upset. if he is started on top feed, it means that's something is not agreeing with his stomach.