Hobbies

Plastic Containers

Indu

Mar 22, 2013

While working n my kitchen , I just realised that my plastic containers are getting old now, including water bottles .... I normally use Tupperware and other good brands... But still ... I know that old plastic is not good for out health .. but old means how old ???   I need suggestions that after how months/ yrs we should throw them out, even if they are of good brands such as tupperware etc.

• 5

Mimi

Hi! I guess the moment the containers get discoloured wt turmeric and other such strong coloured stains, the plastic is scrubbed harder to reduce the stain leaving the insides uneven and scraped. This is when there is a greater chance of leaching from the plastic as well as there being a greater surface area for contaminants to fester. That's a good time to junk it I guess!

Shanaya

hi, good thought, I will check to see which containers i need to throw away and i will do it today. thanks!

Indu

Thanks Neetu and Anurima, I guess for me to replace these containers.. don't want my kids to suffer in any form because of old ones ...

Hey Indu. Good thought. I too use Tupperware and they are quite old. I recently threw one as the cover melted from one end when it came in contact with a hot pan ;) As far as I know, plastic containers and pet bottles should not be used for too long as germs can easily get trapped within the plastic an remain there inspite of a thorough cleaning. Also some types of plastic containers can release chemicals into the food when heated. I think it is necessary to replace plastic containers every couple of years or lesser maybe.

Hey Indu, not sure about the unhealthy bit. The annoying thing about tupperware is that they last so long and start looking shabby but would not break so one would not want to discard them. ,,anyway, i discard my containers when they start to look shabby which is also when they have gotten old , so takes care of the unhealthy bit I suppose :)

Hi

Hello everyone how are you everyone? After long time.

Some activities for 19months toddler

My girl enjoys dancing n started imitating others action. Suggest me some other..

My girl 3yrs is addicted to lip sucking...

My baby started lip sucking when she was 5 month. everyone told me not to worry..

Summer Camps

hello again dear Proparents! Please suggest some good summer camps in and around..

Parentune discussion

It is Parentune Discussion Time!!   Share with us what your fam..

Parentune discussion

It is Parentune Weekly Discussion Time!   With vacations on us, we look a..

Parentune Discussion

It is Parentune Weekly Discussion time With summer vacations on, we would like..

Weekly Discussion

It is parentune Weekly Discussion timeFave family weekend activityWith children..