Start to Brush teeth

Ketaki

Updated on Aug 25, 2014

Hi All,   My daughter just turned 1 and has around 8 teeth. I try to use finger brush; but she cries a lot. She has started eating almost everything, and thus has bad mouth. Her tongue also looks dirty as Milk and other food left over.   She is very reluctant to brush and cries a lot. Tried telling her stories, songs, but she does not respond. I know this could be difficult for me to get her done; but any suggestions what all I can try?  

• 13
Ketaki

Aarti Mehan: Sounds good, will try it and surely update you about response; Thanks

best thing is just show you tube... videos... to her during the day... my son learnt this way... kids copy other kids...

Ketaki

@Sravya : thanks, I used to do it before, but now as she has started eating almost everything, it keeps accumulating on her tongue and teeths. I gave her toothbrush but she does not put it in her mouth rather throws on floor.

Ketaki

Ankita A Talwar: I do not use any kind of toothpaste yet. I am not sure if any safe toothpastes available which even if she swallows is fine..

Ketaki

Dr. Sonali Bassi: Thanks for your valuable inputs. Yes, she is very much reluctant when she sees that little toothbrush in my hand. I use finger toothbrush, that might be one of the reason she is scared of. I am trying best to do it everyday but as soon as she notices it in my hand, she starts crying a lot.

Sravya

Hi ketaki , it's a very common problem even my baby does that at one and half years of age , she has around 12 teeth :( , I suggest u to take a cotton cloth and dip it I warm water and slowly wipe the teeth if ur child is not at all brushing , u can do this when he's bathing , and wipe his tongue. Although tis is not the solution but it will help reduce the smell. Give him the tooth brush in his hand he will play t first but he will chew it wen u do it in front of him , that will help I guess :)

Ankita A Talwar

Hi Ketaki, You could also try and change the flavour of her toothpaste. Let her explore it on her own, rather than you stressing about giving her a perfect brush. if it is made a play, she will not mind it as much.

Ankita A Talwar

DrSonali Bassi

Like we say "you got to do what you got to do". at this little age he is going to cry but there is no substitute to brushing!i had the same problem with my little one at that age but once they realise that mummy is doing what she has to they gradually become alright with it ,trust me!

DrSonali Bassi

Also give him a small baby brush to chew on without paste. Do the brushing regimen with him in front of you. after he has played around with the brush ,last 30 seconds do a quick yet effective round of brushing with the finger brush. he is going to cry but

DrSonali Bassi

Hi Ketaki,I can relate to what you are saying !however tough it maybe the answer to the problem is that you got to keep brushing even if the baby is crying. obviously he hates the poky little monster of a brush in his mouth but in a gentle yet assertive voice keep talking to him while brushing as to how important it is. Remember they keep listening and absorbing.

Ketaki

Thank you for your updates, I have already visited this link. Me and my husband both show her how to brush. We also asked her to brush, but like mentioned, she is very much resisting to follow.

Hi ketaki, Thank you for sharing your concern with us. We understand your concern. While you receive suggestions and inputs from fellow parents on parentune, in the meantime, here is a parent talk which deals with the concern area mentioned by you and may be of help. Here is the link- https://www.parentune.com/parent-talk/dental-care/1175