Sterilizing feeding bottles

Elizabeth

Updated on Jul 09, 2013

I wanted to be sure on the method I use to sterilize the feeding bottles. So what we practise at home now is soak the used bottles in warm soap liquid for about 10minutes. Brush the bottles and the teats well, rinse them off with water. Take another vessel and fill it with water and keep it for boiling and submerge the bottles, the teats and all the other parts and boil it for 10 mins. I have always open bolied. Then I take each of the components out and place them on a tray. I keep the bottles on the tray with the opening of the bottle facing upwards ( I had read this somewhere that keeping the bottle like this will ensure there is no moisture left). Once they are dried, put them in a plastic box. My calrifications on this:   a) should we use a lid while boiling? b) Should the bottles be kept upside down for drying? is there anything wrong in keeping the open side in the upward direction. c) how often should a bottle be sterilized? is it after very use? c) any other best practises followed, more than welcome :-)   Thanks, Liz.

• 4
Elizabeth

Thank you Anurima!

Dear Liz, I used to sterilize bottle, teats, covers after each use and dry them. I stored them in a separate drawer. On days when I would not have time to let them dry on their own (when stepping out of the house), I used to wipe them dry with a clean tissue. Please watch out for wear and tear especially in the teats and replace them as soon as you see some damage. I am not sure if there is anything wrong in drying bottles standing up. The only thing I can think of is dust, dirt or other particles may find their way into the bottles when drying. So the upside down way could be considered safer :)

Elizabeth

Thank you Deepti.

Deepti Singh

hi Liz, if you put on the lid, there can be steam which is the best for sterilization. yes after every use sterilize coz otherwise bacteria may accumulate. and i boil them just before use so don't know about dring.