teaching math to 4. 5 years old kid

Vishal

Updated on Sep 24, 2013

Hi   My son is 4. 5 years old. He is good at recognizing numbers, but does not understand the tens (10s) concept. I want to teach him about 10s concept and forming numbers and counting.   what is best way/method? Any tools for this? -Vishal

• 5
Vishal

I will definitely try this.

Vishal

I have gone through the video and looks very good to me, my kid (in fact usually all kids) have very good grasping power via visual effects.

Vishal

Thanks a lot Nitin and Shikha Ji,

Hi Vishal! I agree with Nitin. The grid game is indeed a very nice way of teaching counting to kids. U cud ask the child to string 10 beads each in five strings n when he is done u cud tell him 10 , 20 n so on. Whenever u make him practice by writing down no. s make sure he just writes till 10 in one column n then 11 in front of 1 in a new column. This will make it easier for the child to understand. U cud ask him to stack 10 bowls or spoons or plates or colours each in 5 groups. Or u cud ask him to count 10 cars n then pause then 20 cars n again pause. Also u cud tell him after 10 every next10 has the sound of "ty" such as twenty, thirty , forty n so on. by giving examples from day to day life he will Be able to make connections n it wud help him remember concepts. U cud put charts in his room with numbers written on it n circle or highlight all10's. U cud teach him using 10 Rs.. Hope this works.

Hey Vishal! Am assuming your son is in grade 1. Now teaching the concept of 10s could be really exciting. From what i have experienced, here are two strategies you could follow: (1) a 10s frame is a great way to introduce your child to. It is a 2 row by 5 column structure, which you could leverage to help your child to recognise the tens concept, even play with it mentally. (2) There's a similar grid like coin game which has 8-10 rows and columns, with normally two coin-colours. The person who makes a straight line/diagonal one earns a point. you could use that as well to help your child understand the concept of 10s. Here's a video which may help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6RaMGDPfJg&NR=1

Top Education and Learning Blogs